A&H

Assisting with Penalty

At a game today a challenge goes in from Blue defender on yellow attacker. Referee says he got the ball. However the Assistant Referee (all three a team), flags for a penalty. He had a much better position and said the blue defender caught the attacker prior to getting the ball. Correct decision but as the referee had said no penalty caused a bit of chaos.

The Referee Store
To me that looks like bad communication between the officials, and possibly a case of lack of pre-match instructions or lack of listening to pre-match instructions! An awkward situation that could quite easily be avoided.

Yup, sounds like lack of comms there.

When running line, I always try and catch ref's eye before flagging. When reffing, I always look to the AR as well if the incident is in their area.

Had one yesterday in a semi final, score 1-0 to red, long ball over the top from black, attacker leaves defenders for dead. 'Keeper comes out but it's hard to read who's favourite for the ball.

Ref has been left behind play as it's the big hoof upfield and he's looking at attacker's back. Ball bounces once and keeper takes a fairly easy catch but attacker runs into her, she drops ball and black toe pokes it in.

I move my flag to left hand to signal and, looking at ref who is looking me, I raise the flag and shake my head. All in less than half a second. Ref trots over to me, "Keeper had the ball in both hands?" "Yep" says I - he blows and signals the free-kick.

Good example of efficient communication, ref suspected a foul so looked to his AR to assist, AR saw the foul and made it clear to ref that goal shouldn't stand. He told me after the game he came over to me just to eat a bit of time and give black a chance to regroup after celebrating a 'goal'.

As a ref, if I have NARs I ALWAYS look to them when a goal is scored, a discreet thumbs up and off to the centre spot for kick off.

I had one situation a penalty claim for hand ball right near me, a cross was coming in and a defender turned his back, his arm naturally bent and the ball hit his arm, all the claims came in, the referee and myself made eye contact, ( as mentioned in the pre match) I gave a discreet shake of the head and the ref cut the grass, good piece of communication as the ref said he would of give it if it was his decision

Sounds like a break down in communication to me, it can look a bit clumsy when the ref and their assistant give different decisions!

Back