A&H

Assistant Referees

I also brief at the coin toss With CARs.I am quite clear on the point that I am the only one who calls for fouls and missconduct. I still get the odd one who flags like mad for fouls and then gets defensive when I tell them not to. When I am a NAR I think it would be a waste of my time if I was just giving throws, corners offsides. I wouldn't ask that of my NARs and I have never been asked that myself.

The Referee Store
We're straying into yet another discussion on CARs, if we're not careful!

To get back on track, I once warmed up with a ref who used a football, the three of us spent about 10 minutes passing the ball to each other.

Made a change from the usual shuttles!

Any unusual warm ups, you've been asked to do or indeed asked others to do if you were the ref?!

Think the worst I was involved in was a 80% sprint to the halfway line five second rest, then doing it twice..then three time up to five then down from five..was near buggered before the match kicked off! :grumpy:

We're straying into yet another discussion on CARs, if we're not careful!

To get back on track, I once warmed up with a ref who used a football, the three of us spent about 10 minutes passing the ball to each other.

Made a change from the usual shuttles!

Any unusual warm ups, you've been asked to do or indeed asked others to do if you were the ref?!
Done that a few times now. Just don’t try to do anything special, as players/spectators will laugh at you when it’s wrong.
Think the worst I was involved in was a 80% sprint to the halfway line five second rest, then doing it twice..then three time up to five then down from five..was near buggered before the match kicked off! :grumpy:
Had this a few times too. Warm up damn near killed me.

one i've been involved with a few times that's hard but fun...

set up with one official along the goal line and one the touch line, moving no more than 10m from the corner flag. The remaining official has to keep in line with both officials as they move up and down the touch/goal line. good entertainment as you try catch the man in the middle out!

set up with one official along the goal line and one the touch line, moving no more than 10m from the corner flag. The remaining official has to keep in line with both officials as they move up and down the touch/goal line. good entertainment as you try catch the man in the middle out!
Jez by the time I explained that to some of my linos the match would be over!! lol

Jez by the time I explained that to some of my linos the match would be over!! lol
I have used this. Its quite simple to explain. It works in reverse to where ARs stay in line with your movements too.

One I really like is stand on the touchline together facing away from pitch. One official calls left or right . If left is called you should spin right and sprint to pen area and call left spin right...

As an AR it really helps swicth the brain on ready. Good laugh if keep messing up and going wrong way..

I have used this. Its quite simple to explain. It works in reverse to where ARs stay in line with your movements too.

One I really like is stand on the touchline together facing away from pitch. One official calls left or right . If left is called you should spin right and sprint to pen area and call left spin right...

As an AR it really helps swicth the brain on ready. Good laugh if keep messing up and going wrong way..
See as a ref I like the ARs to follow me lol, although like the sound of the second one!

Yes, this is great. Did it for the first time the other week. We added copying hand signals to it. Gets brain and body moving!

Yes, this is great. Did it for the first time the other week. We added copying hand signals to it. Gets brain and body moving!

I've done that loads. Thought it was weird when a couple of referees did it, but it is a really good warm up as it exercises the body but also the mind as you have to think rather than just run. It also involves movements that you are likely to make during the game.

Most bizarre instruction as AR I’ve been given by Referee was that no ARs would be used in the game, not even for ins and outs.
It was crazy. I thought ARs or even CARs were mandatory?

Last edited:
Most bizarre instruction as AR I’ve been given by Referee was that no ARs would be used in the game, not even for ins and outs.
It was crazy. I thought ARs or even CARs were mandatory?

As far as CARs go, don't have to use them, although it's very rare not to.

As far as CARs go, don't have to use them, although it's very rare not to.
My leagues all actually mandate that a CAR is supplied, the clubs will be fined if I report that they didn't have someone to do that job. It is technically possible that I could just ask them to stand there and hold a flag without actually doing anything, but when you've got the assistance available, that just seems mad.

The use of CARs is governed by the competition rules. Within the SCOR, the use of CARs is optional. So it is possible for a game to have no NARs and no CARs

Back