A&H

Assistant referee , importance

I’ve not been on this forum for long so apologies if I’m wrong, but…

Do you ever post anything that is positive and not derisory/condescending?
You come across as very ‘high & mighty’.

Whilst there’s clearly a difference between the way officials work across the globe, is there any need to be so firm and dismissive of other methods of working?

I’m a fairly confident chap with faith in my own and those I respect’s methods but I’d imagine the way you shoot people down as though you’re Pierluigi himself might put a few younger/less confident referees off of using this great space.

Simply curious, hence the questions. So if there is anything in the answers which are beneficial, they can be put to use.
Its because of the differing methods tbat the questions are asked.

no shooting down going on, just, as stated, totally alien in my experience to hear instructions, so, interested in hearing more about them. Thats how we learn.

The Referee Store
Simply curious, hence the questions. So if there is anything in the answers which are beneficial, they can be put to use.
Its because of the differing methods tbat the questions are asked.

no shooting down going on, just, as stated, totally alien in my experience to hear instructions, so, interested in hearing more about them. Thats how we learn.
That’s fair, it may just be the way it reads in that case.
(Still wouldn’t want you as my AR if you’re gonna ignore instructions though 😂)

I’ve not been on this forum for long so apologies if I’m wrong, but…

Do you ever post anything that is positive and not derisory/condescending?
You come across as very ‘high & mighty’.

Whilst there’s clearly a difference between the way officials work across the globe, is there any need to be so firm and dismissive of other methods of working?

I’m a fairly confident chap with faith in my own and those I respect’s methods but I’d imagine the way you shoot people down as though you’re Pierluigi himself might put a few younger/less confident referees off of using this great space.
It’s why I have him on ignore. Lots of good people on here who have strong opinions and engage in good debate without putting others down. Life’s too short to deal with those who act like that.

That’s fair, it may just be the way it reads in that case.
(Still wouldn’t want you as my AR if you’re gonna ignore instructions though 😂)

the end game is to get the correct call, not satisfy a personal desire.

Assist not Insist.

As AR, the correct signal is whatever your ref tells you pre-match. If he's not given you any guidance then use your experience and judgement, you just have to sort it out in the dressing room. But if you have instructions that cover the situation, you have 2 choices: follow your instructions, or make a conscious decision to be a bad assistant.

The degree of lining experience of each AR will dictate the amount of information the referee needs to cover.
In England currently the observers at many levels are not attending the pre-match instructions (part of the Covid protocols) but when we do I would expect referees with experienced AR's to cover issues like signalling to confirm a goal, what to do if wishing to talk to the referee about something during the game, what to record and when to do so, and some guidance about technical area occupants' behaviour.
With less experienced AR's, guidance needs to tease out what is required to manage their part of the game in conjunction with the referee.
Horses for courses!
Yep and much will depend on how much I've worked with the other officials before.

I'm finding that I'm out on the line as part of the same team of 3 on a regular basis at Contrib level, so the pre match I get from the referee is far more relaxed than it was when I first was out with him, or there is another AR that he doesn't know.

Back