A&H

Assistant and 4th Official?

Reffariiii

RefChat Addict
When acting as an assistant in a match where there is a 4th official, is the assistants still required to be at the half way line at the time of a substitution?

The Referee Store
Just seen (at the Spurs match) now, the assistant is nowhere near for the subs. But I did think that the assistant needed to be there.

I didn't think so?! In matches I've been to, I don't think I've ever seen an assistant go to the halfway line as well as the 4th official being there. But when there isn't a 4th official, then that assistant carries out the sub, so I thought that way part of the role of the 4th official?!

I didn't think so?! In matches I've been to, I don't think I've ever seen an assistant go to the halfway line as well as the 4th official being there. But when there isn't a 4th official, then that assistant carries out the sub, so I thought that way part of the role of the 4th official?!

What you say makes sense, and the good book doesn't give us much guidance. I always thought that the AR just did it, and its after consulting the book that I posted here. Maybe its a British thing?

Yeah, I agree! I always see at lower league level, such as conference north, the assistant sprints up the line, writes down the sub, checks equipment etc, and then carries out the sub, and sprints back to his position. But, at the football league for example, the 4th official checks equipments etc, and holds up the board, and carries out the sub, where as at lower league an official from the team holds up their own board. That is what I thought happened from personal experience!

Depends on the level and pre-match instructions. The higher up, I would say no, it's left to the fourth official but if there are more than one sub, the assistant may go and lend a hand with proceedings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Makes sense for the 4th to do it - save the legs of the AR - I wish we had more 4th officials, instead of managers waiting for a goal kick or corner before asking for a sub and making us run a full half pitch!

Hmm, interesting, haha.

Also, maybe I didn't phrase my question clearly enough, I don't mean, is the AR expected to carry out the sub, obviously this is the 4th officials duty, but is the AR expected to be there whilst the sub takes place.

We're encouraged to help 4th Official with subs, almost creating a gate onto the pitch (4th, player, assistant) as it looks more professional and like a team. Probably different in different counties

We tend not to down here. The 4th official is there for a reason, it's best for the assistant to be in a position ready for play to start straight away.

But common sense prevails here. If you are preparing yourself for a corner, and a sub wants to come on (with the referees permission) you wouldn't run all the way to the half-way line, whilst the 4th official is there dealing with it - it just looks messy and wastes time. But if you're at the halfway line already, you can always pretend to help out to make it look good.

When you think about it, the only reason the AR comes to the halfway line is to carry out the substitution procedure correctly making sure the new player enters at the halfway line as well as check equipment, name number etc. especially since he will usually be closer than the referee in most cases. The presence of a 4th official negates the need for the AR to come to the halfway line as one of the 4th officials duties is assisting with the substitution procedure during the match as stated on page 57 of LotG.

Back