A&H

Assessments

Ryan

THE REF
Level 7 Referee
I am starting adult football at the start of February, and a starting to looking into how assessments work, could anyone explain this please and if anyone would be willing to upload a few assessments please? just so I know what to expect

The Referee Store
Ryan, you will only be assessed if you are on the promotion scheme, unless you can contact an independent assessor if you know one who could do a mock assessment for you. But basically, an assessor will come down and will watch your whole game, they may not make their presence aware to you at the start of the game, but come the end they usually will (not all though). They'll be looking to ensure that you're doing everything correctly (like checking players equipment and goals etc) and then they will produce you with an assessment report. Generally this could take anything from 1-5 days. Anything else you need to know, just ask! :)

Assessors should contact you ahead of the match.

From pre-match (pitch and safety checks) through to the final whistle, you'll be judged against seven sets of competencies (that have requirements and 'qualities' based upon your level), getting a mark from 1-5 for each, that each hold a different weighting. Long story short, you get a mark from 20-100. Depending on your county you may or may not see this mark (7-6, 6-5 possibly not), but 70 is the "standard required for current level" mark.

A 70 means you did all that's expected of you, and anything above that means you're showing qualities expected of a referee the next step up. Guys going 5-4 will be looking for 73s. You can get half-marks (x.5) in each of the seven areas, but your overall total will be rounded up.

The assessor will debrief you after the match and clarify anything, give you a pep talk about your strengths and areas for development, then 3/4 days later you'll get it plop through the post.

Usually you "apply" for promotion with your County FA at the start of the season, and each have different criteria but you usually have to get in 20 matches at a relevant level and have three assessments (70+), club marks will come into it too.

The seven areas of competency (below Supply League) are:
  1. Application of Law (x5)
  2. Match Control (x5)
  3. Positioning and Fitness (x2)
  4. Alertness and Awareness (x3)
  5. Communication (x2)
  6. Teamwork (x1)
  7. Advantage (x2)
You get scored 1-5 on each and the weightings are in parentheses. As you can see the most important areas are Application of Law and Match Control. You'll find comments on each area as well as examples from the game, suggestions of things you could consider to improve parts of your game, as well as praise for things you do well. An assessment does two things, identify the strengths in your game, and to suggest 'routes out' of areas where you could develop.

At the bottom of an assessment is space for three brief bullet points for both strengths and development. Good place to start before taking the whole thing in.

I have a default Assessment of mine (as an Assessor) that I don't mind uploading for you, it was one used for assessor training. Similarly, I've got no problem typing out the criteria expected of a level 7 referee in each competency if you'd like.

Back