A&H

Assessment

James_claytor

Level 5 Referee
If anyone was interested lol

1. Application of law:

There are one or two points to make which I would like you to consider.

You will recall during the final few minutes a player from each side lay injured on the ground. The player with the ball at his feet kept possession for some second s, not being quite sure what to do next. You called to him, “kick it out”. Bear in mind that it is you, the referee, who decides what action to take in these situations. If the player wants to be the sportsman and put the ball out of play, that’s up to him. If you think an injured player should receive attention it is for you to blow the whistle and stop the game . If you feel otherwise, play continues.

We discussed the 2nd penalty award to the green team and, I think, agreed that a caution to the offender would have been in order.

We also discussed your pre match responsibilities. An earlier presence on the field of play gives you the chance to brief assistants together and make sure the game kicks off on time.

On the plus side you were able to distinguish between direct and indirect free kicks and clearly signalled the difference to the players. In fact your signalling and strong use of the whistle were commendable throughout.

2. Match Control:

It is to your credit that all through the game you were clearly in control and players were well aware of it. There were a number of disputed throw ins and you immediately pointed in one or other direction before players had even completed their verbal claim. Similarly the two penalty decisions were given without any noticeable hesitation.

I also enjoyed seeing your interaction with players. There were times when you had to briefly explain a decision and you did this very quickly and concisely without giving anyone the opportunity to develop an argument. During lighter moments you were seen with a smile on your face, an attitude to which the players readily responded.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work rate:

I would not fault your fitness and your ability to sprint towards the play was well up to the expected standard.

One thing you might think about. Both goalkeepers kicked very long – the ball dropped well into the opponents half almost every time they took a punt and even a goal kick. After 10 minutes or so you could have forecasted exactly where the ball was going to land. However, I felt that you did not read this and most times you were positioned about half way between the ‘keeper and the spot where the ball landed. My point is that where the ball landed, two players would contest the ball and your best view of this is, as near as possible, side on. You showed on other occasions that you can move into position quickly when needed so I am suggesting that:

You weigh up the strength of a ‘keeper’s kick early in the game
Use the time that the ‘keeper has possession to get yourself into a favourable position.

4. Alertness & Awareness, Including management of stoppages:

As we agreed after the game, both teams were a little bit laid back so maybe the match did not have that competitive edge which you will encounter at other times. (There were only 2 free kicks for penal offences in the first half and 9 in the second). However, poor decision making can spoil even a game such as this and you were never guilty of that.

There was just one incident which had the potential for problems. Green23 and Red 4 clashed 15 minutes into the second half on the edge of the Red penalty area. Both were left lying on the ground with one or two players claiming a foul. You turned your back on the incident and followed the flight of the ball as it went into the Green’s half of the field. I appreciate that you went back a few seconds later to check that the one player who remained on the ground was ok. However, it is during those moments that your back is turned that ‘afters’ occur – the kick or punch in retaliation. If it happens you need to see it and you will do so by just keeping your eye on the situation for an extra couple of seconds.

5. Communication:

As I indicated earlier, your signalling and use of the whistle were good and I do not wish to add any further comments (except re advantage below).

6. Teamwork:

I imagine your assistants also enjoyed their part in the game. (Well done for briefing the new ones who took over during the game). They all seemed to have a fair understanding of off side and if you over ruled them when they were too hasty with flag you gave them a suitable acknowledgement. You were quick to thank them for their efforts after the game which is always appreciated.

7. Advantage:

Only you know how often – if at all – you played advantage. I am saying like that because I did not hear you call ‘advantage’ at any time or see the out stretched arm signal. I was not aware of any situation where you failed to play an obvious advantage so I am reserving judgement!

Section

Strengths

Section

Development areas

Strong, confident decision making

Pre match. Make your presence earlier.

You maintained your fitness and work rate for the whole 90 minutes. Well done.

Use ‘down time’ (especially when the goalkeeper has the ball ) to get into good positions

Confident interaction with players and assistants.

Be prepared to take your eye off the ball momentarily to monitor players who have had a hard clash.

The Referee Store
Back