A&H

Asking the time All the time!!

Zimmyman

Ok a quick one before I do my course and get involved properly ! I refed grass roots u11 for the odd 20 games helping out !! And just wanted to know what you say to players when there’s 10 mins left of he game who keep asking how long left!! Drives me nuts ! I had one kid ask me how long after 5 mins from the halftime ko ! Then there’s the coaches HOW LONG REF ???? I’m trying to concentrate ! What’s procedure for when I get going properly

The Referee Store
You can be polite and keep answering, but it is sometimes better not hear them asking...

They will only be asking at stoppages and you should have a general awareness of the time remaining anyway. Your watch should be easily visible so an easy answer.

Why are they asking all the time?
Can they hear you?

If anyone asks me the time, I shout the reply so everyone (or as many as possible) can hear me.

Normally with 10 to go people want to know the time. So when there is a break in play in the last 10 I shout the time remaining.

I also think it is fair to tell everyone on 90 mins what the minimum additional time is. Actually I am on a bit of a crusade about this. Ever since one ref lost track of additional time when I was AR1, I ask all refs to tell on 90 what the min added time will be. I also think this is fair to the players and the game, it's what happens at the top level, good for match control and overall common sense. Of course, this goes hand in hand with e.g. pointing at the watch to remind people when you have "stopped the clock", especially in added time ;)

I would always answer, unless am caught up chasing play or very much concentrating on something or so on
"Around 10" or so on is my reply, that way am not held to a court of law should Mr Greenwich be in attendance
When its clear we have say, two to go, then, my reply is "at the moment two to go" , am not adverse to using fingers rather than speach if i think suitable too

I certainly dont scream out the time, if I get a chance to convey it to a few gathered players, then I will, got to bear in mind there will be some players/coaches who will think they are ultra pro and dont care how long there is to go, they carry on regardless!

Last edited:
You’d be surprised how much this can help you building a bit of rapport. Tell them the time remaining as many times as they ask. Why not - there aren’t stadium clocks at our level.

Only thing I watch out for is to do it at a stoppage, do it loud so others hear, and be a bit general so it doesn’t become a debate “about 10 left” “about 25 left” “nearly 30 mins gone”...if you are too specific you could get into a debate especially with a coach who could time you from your answer.

It always amazes me how often, and how early, players ask the time. I do quite a few games on a local astro facility which has a large digital clock by the pitch. When asked I'll often say something like "around 15 minutes by that clock over there" only to be asked again by the same player 5 minutes later. All things considered I have no issue telling players the time or how long is left.

As long as it wasn’t too often and irritatingly repetitive I’d always respectfully oblige with either the exact or an approximation...

You’d be surprised how much this can help you building a bit of rapport. Tell them the time remaining as many times as they ask. Why not - there aren’t stadium clocks at our level.

Only thing I watch out for is to do it at a stoppage, do it loud so others hear, and be a bit general so it doesn’t become a debate “about 10 left” “about 25 left” “nearly 30 mins gone”...if you are too specific you could get into a debate especially with a coach who could time you from your answer.
That exactly what happens someone asks you say 5 !!! Then there’s an injury or a long penalty you add in the time and then you get irate managers and parents shouting you said 5 ! 8 mins ago and it then gets nasty !!! But I honestly hear what everyone is saying and I will take it on board thanks

Always say how long we've been playing, that way I can decide on added time. Requires them to do some arithmetics but the players should be able to handle that

I have a general awareness of time either through recording goals or sanctions or just checking time for myself. So most times players ask me how long ref, it's a quick response "about 12". If it's early in the half I just say "not even half way".

Last edited:
No issue with players asking but does get to me a bit that managers ask, when i was coaching i would always have a stopwatch myself (or at least set time on phone)

No issue with players asking but does get to me a bit that managers ask, when i was coaching i would always have a stopwatch myself (or at least set time on phone)
Agree completely. Players aren't allowed to wear a watch, so it makes perfect sense that they would have to ask the ref. Managers can be wearing any selection of watches and phones, and should e considering the time when making subs and tactical switches - it's baffling to me that you wouldn't at least set a stopwatch running on your phone in that position.

Agree completely. Players aren't allowed to wear a watch, so it makes perfect sense that they would have to ask the ref. Managers can be wearing any selection of watches and phones, and should e considering the time when making subs and tactical switches - it's baffling to me that you wouldn't at least set a stopwatch running on your phone in that position.
So true !! I think managers have the time but if they are 1-0 up they are cr—-ping themselves that one might add more time ? Who knows

I rarely get asked by managers as a referee but have been asked as AR1. Most times they have a watch but they forget to note kick off. So I respond once or twice. After that I give them vague responses like "a fair bit left" and they soon get the message.

You can always tell why a ref is chubby after being asked the time!!! He's always going back for seconds!!! :angel:

I did fall foul of saying 27 left after 73 whilst overworked and blowing out my 4rs3

Back