The Ref Stop

Arsenal Vs Man Utd

The Ref Stop
Arteta yellow carded for his familiar touchline antics, hasn't stopped him standing well outside his technical area and on the touchline though.
The difference is that the booking was for him sprinting around demanding a booking for a United player. Those antics did stop after the booking. Most managers ordinarily step outside the technical area issuing instructions and cracking down on that just seems a bit pedantic.

Superb performance from Anthony Taylor, that is how you referee a big game of football.
Totally agree. I've always been of the mindset that he's a better referee internationally than domestically, but he was brilliant today. He deftly walked the line between keeping control and allowing the game to flow. His refereeing contributed to the game being such an entertaining affair.

I'll post here, but I also noted that Lopetegui was booked by Coote in the Man City-Wolves game. I didn't watch the Chelsea-Liverpool game yesterday, so I can't really comment on whether Oliver dealt with Klopp and Potter (I've heard he allowed them to dissent a lot). But in the two games I did watch this weekend, I saw two coaches booked for behavior that I wouldn't have expected bookings for before the turn of the calendar and Howard Webb coming on board. I am hoping it's a point of emphasis that is being - and will continue to be - followed.

Thought Wan-Bissaka was lucky to escape a yellow for the high foul towards the end. Felt like Taylor could have cautioned him but maybe not issuing the yellow was the right thing to do

Thought Wan-Bissaka was lucky to escape a yellow for the high foul towards the end. Felt like Taylor could have cautioned him but maybe not issuing the yellow was the right thing to do
It was the low point in an otherwise ace performance. I think a yellow was expected there. You can maybe wriggle out of it claiming the force was not so great... but it's a stretch... it was high and late and enough to hurt... easy yellow I think. But by that point AT could get away with that.

Hmmm. High school basketball has a “seatbelt” rule, by which a coach getting a technical foul (the rough equivalent of a yellow card is required to sit on the bench rather than stand (with some exceptions). That might not be a terrible consequence to import into soccer.

I didn't watch the Chelsea-Liverpool game yesterday, so I can't really comment on whether Oliver dealt with Klopp and Potter (I've heard he allowed them to dissent a lot).
Nothing happened in that game. A VAR disallowed goal in the first few minutes and then 90 minutes of neither team doing anything. The only possible reason there would be to book a manager was if you were bored and wanted to try and feel involved.

Hmmm. High school basketball has a “seatbelt” rule, by which a coach getting a technical foul (the rough equivalent of a yellow card is required to sit on the bench rather than stand (with some exceptions). That might not be a terrible consequence to import into soccer.
Perhaps, we should have a "clingfilm" rule, so that they forcible retained in their chair....

Nothing happened in that game. A VAR disallowed goal in the first few minutes and then 90 minutes of neither team doing anything. The only possible reason there would be to book a manager was if you were bored and wanted to try and feel involved.
The intrusive thought to give a soft penalty in dull games just to spice it up

Back