A&H

Arsenal vs Burnley - Penalty or offside?

Penalty or offside?

• Penalty

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Offside

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
The old FIFA Q&A's had more or less this scenario - an attacker in an offside position and a defender committing an offence (except it involved handling rather than a foul) and the ruling was:

If, in the opinion of the referee, the player in the offside position should be penalised for being involved in active play, he will penalise the offside and restart the match with an indirect free kick.
However, if in the referee’s opinion, the player should not be penalised for being involved in active play, a direct free kick, or a penalty kick, will be awarded ...

As far as I'm aware, this would still apply so what does everyone think - offside or penalty?

The Referee Store
Arsenal fan here - but no way that's a penalty. Burnley were robbed and I couldn't be happier about it.

Last edited:
If the AR had felt/spotted/believed that the player fouled was in an offside position when the ball was played in (which doesn't appear to have been the case in this situation), then that should have been given (with any possible sanctions from the foul still carrying, obviously).

Since the AR did not seem to feel that the player was in an offside position, then it's a penalty.

Not quite right - player would have to be actively involved in play before the foul, not just in an offside position. After all he hasn't committed an offence by being in an offside position

*arsenal fan

I think the AR may have thought Kos was in an offside position and was just waiting for him to play the ball before flagging - in the meantime he got kicked in the face. Looks from replay that the foot arrives a second before the ball. However if it went the other way and was called offside I wouldn't feel too hard done by...close play, went Arsenal's way.

Not quite right - player would have to be actively involved in play before the foul, not just in an offside position. After all he hasn't committed an offence by being in an offside position
As soon as he challenged the opponent for the ball (which he did by trying to head it), he's not committed the offence.

Doesn't have to touch it.

Back