A&H

Arsenal v Southampton

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
More likely overthinking offside law...
Arsenals 2nd goal is my thinking..
Ball crossed from right, lands at Tierneys feet.
Lacazette starts in offside position and then actually steps in the way of the defender going to shut Tierney down, giving him a couple seconds to get the ball under control and set for the cross for the goal.
I dont want to see goals chalked off, but surely as soon as he (and it looks deliberate) blocks the defender, he is interfering.

The Referee Store
Sounds like impeding rather than OS--see the discussion in Law 11 immediately below the 4 bullets on ways to interfere with an opponent. But can be interference with an opponent even if he doesn’t move but happens to block a defender who has an opportunity to challenge for the ball.

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence should be penalised under Law 12​

I rewatched it again. I think it should be a clear offside and intervention from the VAR. There is contact,
it's not much, but the block is there.

Reactions: one
Back