A&H

Arsenal v Manchester City

Ross

Forum VAR
Staff member
Level 6 Referee
FA Referee
Any problems with either of the red cards? Not seen them myself, but twitter has been quite consistent with the fact they were justified

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
From what I've heard the they're both RC's, DOGSO for the first and SFP for the second. Will have to see later on when MOTD is on

Kompany looks the softest of the 2 for me, however I don't think those angles are very conclusive.

As for Koscielny, well obvious penalty, and I suppose the red is OK as well, the only thing that concerns me is that Tevez was running in a took the header.

Both reds for me. Koscielny wasn’t looking for the ball, had both arms around Dzeko and dragged him down.

The Kompany one was also a red for me, he jumped in, both feet left the floor and you just can’t do that these days. The problem with it is inconsistency. 5 times out of 10 he would have got away with that altogether, 4 times out of 10 he would have been cautioned and 1 out of 10 times would he have been sent off like Mike Dean did.

I’m a Norwich fan and when they beat us at Carrow Road in December almost exactly the same thing happened on Bradley Johnson in the centre circle, play was allowed to continue, the ball broke to Aguero he went on to score.

It will be interesting to see how players/managers/spectators react if (probably when) a similar challenge goes in on a Saturday afternoon when I’m reffing as I’d be doing exactly what Mr Dean did!

The Kompany one was also a red for me, he jumped in, both feet left the floor and you just can’t do that these days. The problem with it is inconsistency. 5 times out of 10 he would have got away with that altogether, 4 times out of 10 he would have been cautioned and 1 out of 10 times would he have been sent off like Mike Dean did.
Agreed, a red card IMO, although Kompany did a similar challenge in the FA Cup 3rd Round last year (2 feet off the ground, but got the ball first) and Chris Foy sent him off, so we are seeing some consistency (with Vincent Kompany at least ;) )

Tevez header saved anyway, Dean appeared to wait until then although no arms went up so completely understand Koscielny RC.
Kompany one he leaves ground 2 footed, imo once he's done that there is no way back, not controlled and to allow that imo would be inconsistent in that he wins the ball but endangers opponents safety. Does the man have to have a broken leg before its an RC?

I personally think Mike Dean made great decisions. TV pundits say the card should be over turned. I really hope it is not as Mike Dean's application of the LAWS was spot on. Doesnt mention anything about being "2 footed" or "winning the ball". If the referee judges as SFP then its a red card. Completely agree with both decisions. Also like how he brought the play back when no advantage accrued before first goal.

Shocked it's been overruled. Like the photo with Mike Dean though...

I am very surprised and annoyed that the FA has decided to undermine referees like this. Wasnt it last season that Mike Riley started a big campaign about dangerous tackles???

I just hope that the other players dont think they can get away with lunging in (2 feet or 1) its still excessive force.

Has anyone ever been told by a player that it wasn’t a red/yellow/foul etc because it ‘happened on the tele last night and he didn’t get a red/yellow/free kick’ etc??

I imagine it happens a lot?

Back