A&H

Arsenal v Man UTD

The Referee Store
It, quite simply, was a dive.
Was a poor day for the officials. Some easy cautions weren't given and by the end he was giving fouls when ever 2 players breathed on each other.
Let a LOT of visual dissent go as well

It was a classic Mo Salah penalty. He felt the slightest touch and went down.

No need for Fred to go up agaisnt him like that tbh

Have only seen one angle but Fred looks like he turns his body to nudge the player?

There was contact but below the 'careless' threshold. I have feeling had it happened in midfield, it would have been play on. I have said this before, so long as we factor in (as a major factor) players going down or staying up in our decision making, players would go down on any hint of contact. You can't blame Lacazette for this.

Penalty area is becoming sacred grounds with especial rituals. Don't touch attackers, defend with your arms behind your back...

Last edited:
It, quite simply, was a dive.
Was a poor day for the officials. Some easy cautions weren't given and by the end he was giving fouls when ever 2 players breathed on each other.
Let a LOT of visual dissent go as well
I wouldn't say it was a dive, there was definitely contact from Fred but it was a slight nudge, Potentially enough to bring down a player running with speed on that surface.

However, was it a penalty? Not a chance

I wouldn't say it was a dive, there was definitely contact from Fred but it was a slight nudge, Potentially enough to bring down a player running with speed on that surface.

However, was it a penalty? Not a chance
So you reasoned there was contact, a slight nudge, that was enough to bring him down. Assuming you agree the nudge wasn't in playing distance of the ball, doesn't that fall under the offence of a push? Therefore the correct decision is a penalty.

So you reasoned there was contact, a slight nudge, that was enough to bring him down. Assuming you agree the nudge wasn't in playing distance of the ball, doesn't that fall under the offence of a push? Therefore the correct decision is a penalty.
The ball was in playing distance and a nudge is different to a push. You've completely twisted my words there

Even a push has to be careless for it to be a foul. There is certainly no push there. The things you may be able to put this under is a careless tackle/challenge or a careless charge.

Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. This challenge does not qualify as careless for me. You have to remember all DFK offences can be done in a fair way with contact without them being an offence. Ball being in playing distance (may be considered but) is not a criteria for a fair or unfair challenge.

The ball was in playing distance and a nudge is different to a push. You've completely twisted my words there
With respect, I wasn't twisting your words, I was merely trying to ascertain whether you thought a nudge was a push. I find it of interest how refs see the same action differently.

I don't accept that ball was within playing distance for Fred. I saw his right leg go across and into the attacker to impede him, before tripping and then push/nudging him in the back so he went over. It was a careless challenge, he made no attempt to play the ball. Therefore DFK and penalty.

For me this is what I would consider Normal football contact. No penalty.

Couldn't disagree more. Fred turns his body, knowing he's not going to be able to play the ball, and tries to nudge the player just enough that it puts him off. That for me qualifies as "acting without precaution". Agree to disagree though

Cheating (oh.. simulation) in the PA... next
Just to clarify, as there was minimal contact, I'd have waved this away begrudgingly resisting a caution for Sim
However, I'd expect this to be given in the EPL because the attackers are so adept at pretending

Last edited:
How many iffy penalties have Liverpool had this season? I think the ref was just making the race for top 4 a bit more interesting. Lacazette just learning from Salah ;)

Couldn't disagree more. Fred turns his body, knowing he's not going to be able to play the ball, and tries to nudge the player just enough that it puts him off. That for me qualifies as "acting without precaution". Agree to disagree though
A
"Acting without precaution"! What the f=÷€ is that and where do I find it in the bible????

Back