A&H

Arsenal v Brighton

The Referee Store
Piers Morgan cannot be described as any kind of idiot

of course folk can have their views of well, his views

He is certainly far from idiotic status

Isn't the point of a offside VAR check to make factual yes it was onside/offside? With no 'evidence' how have they come to rhat conclusion? Wouldn't the protocol be stick with the on field decision?

I agree it looks offside (probably was offside), but we don't know what we can't see.

Isn't the point of a offside VAR check to make factual yes it was onside/offside? With no 'evidence' how have they come to rhat conclusion? Wouldn't the protocol be stick with the on field decision?

I agree it looks offside (probably was offside), but we don't know what we can't see.
We don't know what other views they could see, there are multiple VAR cameras in the ground and certainly more than just this one.

We don't know what other views they could see, there are multiple VAR cameras in the ground and certainly more than just this one.
They showed probably 7/8 camera angles while they were trying to do the lines. Then over the commentary said they can't find an angle.

Understandable discussion on the VAR decision but what is the basis to let Trossard's goal stand? He's offside when the balls is passed to Mwepu, then gets back inside, Mwepu passed and he scores.
The basis is, as clearly spelled out in the Laws of the Game document, that in this scenario, there is no offside offence.

See illustration and explanatory text below.
Screenshot_2022_0411_115749.png

They showed probably 7/8 camera angles while they were trying to do the lines. Then over the commentary said they can't find an angle.
"They're looking at multiple angle and struggling to find a clear one" at a point in the check does not equal "there is no clear angle that can ever be found". We can only assume they did eventually find an angle that allowed the lines to be drawn and a decision to be made.

To be honest, I don't even think this is a "line drawing" close decision - once you work out who's legs are who's, it looks a pretty clear offside.

Back