A&H

ARS v WHU

george.g

Level 5 Referee
Haven’t seen the game, but seen the still frame for that goal.

I agree with the decision to stick with the onfield decision.

The Referee Store
Why we still don't have adequate cameras for this is beyond me. 3rd time at least its been an issue this season

The only 'adequate cameras' here would be from veritically above the end line. They would be fairly challenging at most grounds to have.

Just stick one on either side of the goal line looking right across it

At the very least its better than what we have

Another game that would have been great without VAR. Oliver was great. I would have liked a couple of YCs late in the match.

Zinchenko’s horrible mistake for the goal, compounded by him ending up in the goal and preventing the AR with any chance of seeing the ball.

MO rightly detects that Saka initiates contact for the non-pen. And an easy one after Rice’s unluckly slip to close.

Shocking performance from Arsenal tonight! They can moan all they like about the ball being out, even if it had been given as a goal kick they still would have lost as they were poor!

MO had a decent game too, perhaps a few yellows could have been given towards the end but still should be happy with his performance

Just stick one on either side of the goal line looking right across it

At the very least its better than what we have
Wouldn't have helped here though. Bowen was blocking from one side and from the other side it would be looking through two goal posts and potentially players on the goal line. A chip in the ball is the only sure fire way, but lets not forget that it was the Premier League managers that blocked semi-automated VAR that would have introduced that technology.

Wouldn't have helped here though. Bowen was blocking from one side and from the other side it would be looking through two goal posts and potentially players on the goal line. A chip in the ball is the only sure fire way, but lets not forget that it was the Premier League managers that blocked semi-automated VAR that would have introduced that technology.
Perhaps, but still don't understand why similar isn't provided

Perhaps, but still don't understand why similar isn't provided
Because the clubs blocked it, the EPL wanted semi-automated offside and the clubs said no. Know it wasn't offside tonight but a chip in the ball could also help with ball over goal line decisions.

This is why I have zero sympathy, the managers moaning about offside decisions that have gone against them, or ball out of play decisions, probably voted against using the advanced technology.

Because the clubs blocked it, the EPL wanted semi-automated offside and the clubs said no. Know it wasn't offside tonight but a chip in the ball could also help with ball over goal line decisions.

This is why I have zero sympathy, the managers moaning about offside decisions that have gone against them, or ball out of play decisions, probably voted against using the advanced technology.
I get the clubs didnt want that but what I'm suggesting isn't semi automated offside.

Last edited:
I get the clubs didnt want that but what I'm suggesting isn't semi automated offside.
I think what @RustyRef is saying is that the chip used for the semi-auto offsides would also help in these tight ball in/out scenarios

But I may be getting the wrong end of the stick!

The chip detects when the ball is played more accurately, not the position of the ball per se.
Semi-automated technology initially didn't track the ball position, in the World Cup the had to fudge it when the ball was further forward than the second last defender.
I think that's been fixed now, and don't see why it couldn't be used to track ball in and out of play as well.

There is a goalline technology, cairos, that uses a magnetic field and a chip in the ball. With the magnetic field generated by a wire under the goalline.
I'm not sure how feasible that would be to extend that as you'd have to increase the field strength to cover 20 metres in the air etc.

GLT needs 14 cameras to track a 24x8 ft area and it still hasn't prevented a few situations where it failed. People talk about hawkeye in tennis but it only needs to focus on the ground as the ball can't be out in the air. In football, the ball can be out along a ~68m goal line (x2) and a ~110m touch line (x2) at any point on the ground or in the air. It's a lot harder to track down to the level of precision you need to chalk off goals.

Sadly I have just had the pleasure of watching most of the game a second time.

For me the most interesting moment for Oliver came after 9 mins when Zinchenko steams in with a late sliding tackle. It was for me obviously reckless at the time and the replays support that. But after 9 mins, and in front of AR2, Oliver does not go there. Zinchenko escapes and goes on to decorate the match with a disastrous showing!

There obviously was a camera on the line, but the issue seemed to be that they couldn't see the point that Bowen played the ball as his body was in the way. With a chip in the ball they wouldn't need to see that, and would have been able to know exactly where the ball was at the time it was played.

They used it to prove the ball stayed in for Japan's goal in the World Cup, albeit after the event as the technology wasn't available to VAR at the time.

The chip isn't used to track ball position, it detects when the ball was kicked so they can sync the cameras more accurately.

The chip used in an American Football is only accurate to 6 inches.

Back