A&H

Ars v Newc

Redster

65th minute
Newcastle steaming into a long ball. About to control the ball just on the edge of the PA when put under pressure by a defender to such an extent that he over-runs the ball and goes down.

Stuart Attwell decided to leave it alone.

My view is that it was a careless charge and should have been a foul. Looked like the object of the defender was simply to pressure the striker, and not to play the ball. It seemed to be more from behind - shoulder into back of shoulder. On the other side, not overly heavy contact.

What does the forum think?

The Referee Store
Wilson looked for the foul once he didn't get the ball properly under control.

Newcastle were feisty all game and referee managed it well tbh.

In a similar incident; I Think the elbow to Martinelli'a throat is more of a talking point. Some refs would probably give a penalty for that, some wouldn't

65th minute
Newcastle steaming into a long ball. About to control the ball just on the edge of the PA when put under pressure by a defender to such an extent that he over-runs the ball and goes down.

Stuart Attwell decided to leave it alone.

My view is that it was a careless charge and should have been a foul. Looked like the object of the defender was simply to pressure the striker, and not to play the ball. It seemed to be more from behind - shoulder into back of shoulder. On the other side, not overly heavy contact.

What does the forum think?
Bottom Club is never gonna get a decision of that gravitas
DOGSO RC & PK just isn't happening unless the foul is very very clear. Anywhere else on the pitch, the foul would be given, but that's the nature of the game. Wilson was man-handled throughout, but Atwell safely gave a defensive FK every time. No complaints from the forward tho, he's on 4 yellows!

Reactions: one
This was a 70-30. In the middle of pitch you give it for game control. In a pen/DOGSO situation you don't for the same reason. Pen/goal/send off decisions have to be pretty much nailed on to give because the change the course of the game.

Bottom Club is never gonna get a decision of that gravitas

That view doesn't really work though, as Arsenal thought they should have had a penalty for Lascelles's foul on Martinelli, and for me that was much more obviously a foul and penalty than the Wilson one.

That view doesn't really work though
That's your persistent view on the subject; which permanently conflicts with mine (regardless of which teams are languishing)
The Lascelles shoulder charge? I don't think so
BTW, I didn't say, 'I'd have given Wilson the PK'. I wouldn't. Too much tariff on the decision. That's just the way the game is
But we've been stiffed by VAR all season. Being at the bottom usually reflects bad luck (and in our case, some rotten defending)
I'm long past caring about the EPL & VAR, so nuff said...

Last edited:
Is this the one just before the Arsenal second goal? I was watching this in the club bar with the referee ahead of my game and thought there might have been some fun VAR stuff, with the potential for the Arsenal goal to be chalked off due to the VAR giving a penalty in the other box - but as soon as we saw a replay we both agreed there was no way VAR was going to get involved in that decision.

To be honest, I think if the ref had given a PK, it would have been a coin-flip decision if the VAR would have got involved to overrule the penalty. Don't think it was even close to being a definite missed call (assuming we are talking about the same incident!).

Back