A&H

ARS LIV handball anyone?

On another incident - Rashford goal disallowed for handball.

Welcome thoughts on this one? Suppose in wording of law it’s correct decision but not sure that’s entirely the spirit in which the law is intended?
It clearly hits his arm and then he scores. Think that is absolutely the expected decision, and he knew it was coming looking at the expression on his face.

The Referee Store
On another incident - Rashford goal disallowed for handball.

Welcome thoughts on this one? Suppose in wording of law it’s correct decision but not sure that’s entirely the spirit in which the law is intended?
Is it correct in wording? To me, its not 'immediately after'. There's a couple of touches and it comes off the keeper before it goes in.

Edit - I was watching live, I could do with seeing it again really, I can't recall how quickly MR scores after the 'offence', was it earlier or later than I recall?

Is it correct in wording? To me, its not 'immediately after'. There's a couple of touches and it comes off the keeper before it goes in.

Edit - I was watching live, I could do with seeing it again really, I can't recall how quickly MR scores after the 'offence', was it earlier or later than I recall?
Agree. There's no way the goal is "immediately" after the handball. There's at least 2 other touches and he dribbles past the keeper.

Wording in law is

scores in the opponents’ goal:
• directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
• immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

I’m not convinced by the immediately after part either, given he ran a further 10 yards, took it past/deflected off the ‘keeper and then put it away.

How immediate is immediate?

I don’t agree that the game expected handball, no appeals from Everton defenders or the GK (that I saw) - I’d say the intervention perhaps came as a surprise.

Interesting that there was a similar case with the Antonio goal in West Ham v Fulham game today which where the goal was allowed.

Reactions: es1
Wording in law is

scores in the opponents’ goal:
• directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
• immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

I’m not convinced by the immediately after part either, given he ran a further 10 yards, took it past/deflected off the ‘keeper and then put it away.

How immediate is immediate?

I don’t agree that the game expected handball, no appeals from Everton defenders or the GK (that I saw) - I’d say the intervention perhaps came as a surprise.

Interesting that there was a similar case with the Antonio goal in West Ham v Fulham game today which where the goal was allowed.
Think you're spot on

It would be nice if it was better defined, but as described I would call it. The tweak was made to get away from plays where the handling was really tangential to the goal. I don’t think a couple of touches changes that. But this is all about opinion, as it isn’t well defined. And given there was a prior incident, assuming there is remotely competent referee management, this would have been an issue discussed with ARs and VARs. So I’d think it pretty likely that this was “immediate” within the training for PL refs. But of course an undefined term like that is going to lead to controversy.

Gabriel's hand is in an unnatural position and makes his body bigger. His hand being up there stopped a cross going into the box. Does Gabriel walk normally with his hand up in the air? No, therefore must be a pen, no? If that's happened in a fixture I'm doing, I'd be giving a pen. The expectation is to do that given the unnatural & biggering points. We've seen similar incidents given so not sure what happened there. We've seen hands in the air and faces turned, and pens given. What's different in this case then? The proximity? His hand's not meant to be up there anyways.

As for the Rashford one, does the wording really mean that a handball is okay if he touches the ball 2 more times before scoring? So if a player knows he's handled the ball, he can be cheeky and touch it twice before slotting it in? Find that a bit silly if that's how we're going to work it. He's handled it, and scored within the same play. Always a handball since this law has been applied over the last 2 seasons.

Saka probably offside in build-up to first goal but he wasn't in view of any of the offside calibrated cameras...

We need more of this kind of journalism. I really like this guy, seems to have made an effort to understand the process, protocol, and law and then journo it from there which makes the presentation a bit more balanced.

We need more of this kind of journalism. I really like this guy, seems to have made an effort to understand the process, protocol, and law and then journo it from there which makes the presentation a bit more balanced.
Agree, he is a journalist who has actually bothered to learn and understand the laws, and there aren't very many of them.

Back