A&H

Are Shin Guards required for KFTM?

NOVARef

I was watching the U17 Puerto Rico / Costa Rica match on Sunday and it went to KFTM. Not many players were wearing their shin guards to take the kick. Are shin guards required for KFTM?

The Referee Store
As far as I am concerned KFTPM are part of the match and the players should be properly dressed.

They should be made to put them back on when taking their kick.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
As far as I am concerned KFTPM are part of the match and the players should be properly dressed.

Interesting. Given that the slate is wiped clean for KFTPM with regard to yellow cards picked up in the match itself, my understanding is that the 'shootout' process is not actually part of the match but merely a means of deciding the outcome. Also, in reality, shinpads are purely a player safety aid and if they end up being seriously needed for the shootout then the officiating team have probably got bigger problems to worry about! :rolleyes::)

If this were a LOTG quiz, I'd answer yes.

In reality, it's hard to think of anything I would care about less in the moment!A nervous player walking up to take a vital kick, no way am I delaying everything and sending him back to the benches to put on pointless shin pads.

Would you worry and take action if they were not wearing socks? Wearing a good luck charm?

Another scenario, you're being assessed?

Another scenario, the keeper yells loud "he is not wearing shin pads" as the kicker is walking down from the centre circle.

As an assistant in the centre circle I would certainly manage this (have all players wear shinpads) before KFTPM starts. If I don't, I've let my team down.

As the referee I expect my CC assistant to have sorted this out before the start of KFTPM. If I see it before the first kick I will get it sorted. After that I am likely to ignore it knowing me/my teams has stuffed up and I am covering it up.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
Screenshot_20230223-114920.png

I think the official answer lies here in the first sentence.

So I back track on my previous posts on this matter and go with, yes, they MUST wear their shin guards.

I hope all those who would genuinely enforce this also give an indirect free kick every time a goalkeeper controls the ball with their hand/arm for 6.1 seconds, and blow for encroachment on penalties every time a player has a toenail on the penalty area or arc line 👀

I hope all those who would genuinely enforce this also give an indirect free kick every time a goalkeeper controls the ball with their hand/arm for 6.1 seconds, and blow for encroachment on penalties every time a player has a toenail on the penalty area or arc line 👀
:rolleyes:

Apples and oranges. One is the AR in the center circle simply telling a player to put them back on, and the other is radically changing the game in an unexpected way.

:rolleyes:

Apples and oranges. One is the AR in the center circle simply telling a player to put them back on, and the other is radically changing the game in an unexpected way.
So slavishly adhering to the letter of the law is fine unless it's something which actually affects the match in a material way, then we need to be less pedantic... 🤣

This is about smart refereeing. No one wants to enforce this. But if you see it then a switched on opposing coach or player may have seen it - and they are about to use it against you and ruin your night.

You can ignore it and pray it doesn’t bite you. But - just like free kicks taken from the wrong place, moving balls at goal kicks - once these have fu**ed you once in your career, then you never let it happen again.

And, my advice, having had some really technical bu****it ruin some big matches and promotion, is - suck it up, deal with it and laugh it off. Then you will get promoted when i didn’t;)

So slavishly adhering to the letter of the law is fine unless it's something which actually affects the match in a material way, then we need to be less pedantic... 🤣
I get what your are saying but this clearly goes above the trifling margin for me and goes into LWR territory. As I mentioned, the kicker having their shirt and socks off and wearing a good luck pendant on their neck has no material impact. But I doubt anyone would let them take kick that way.

Well, they're not part of the match because the law specifically says that they take place after the match has ended - but it also says that the relevant laws (as used in the match itself) still apply.

I’m pretty sure that IFAB has said expressly that they are required somewhere. Perhaps in the FAQs? But agree there are bigger fish to fry.
I didn't find anything in any of the FAQ's I have copies of, that addresses this. To reinforce my earlier point above, several of them say this, however.

Screenshot_2023_0225_120809.png

Unbelievably this happened in a final i was 4th on today... Had to intervene to alert the ref.
much to the upset of pretty much everyone in the dugout and the old boys stood behind me. Cracking spot though mate!

Unbelievably this happened in a final i was 4th on today... Had to intervene to alert the ref.
What was the ref's reaction? Did he understand the rules regarding it?

Wondering if he was actually aware of the rules as its a fairly obscure one.

What was the ref's reaction? Did he understand the rules regarding it?

Wondering if he was actually aware of the rules as its a fairly obscure one.
I'm not sure it is so obscure when you break it down:

Law 3 is clear, shin guards are compulsory equipment.

Law 10 states that all relevant LOTG apply at the KFTPM unless stated otherwise.

Anyway, there was very little discussion, I told him, he said thanks and sent the player back to get his shin guards.

Back