A&H

Are electronic whistles allowed?

The Referee Store
Newref, you might be better starting a single thread with all your questions, just a thought.

I think that would work better than multiple short threads.

Two cents: You don't see a lot of e-whistles out there. (Personally, I've never seen one on a field.) As a new ref, the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself by doing something unusual. So unless you have some sort of medical reason that blowing a whistle is a problem, I'd strongly encourage you to just use a normal whistle like everyone else does.

Your whistle forms a big part of your communication with players and how you blow the whistle is in turn a big part of that. A whistle is not just for stopping/starting play. For example a good referee's whistle tone can tell players a yellow card is coming even before he/she reaches for the pocket. You can't do that with an e-whistle.

A good analogy would be a referee who talks to players in a monotone robotic voice in all situations.

I’m no whistle type conasseur, you have to learn different techniques long, short, prolonged to try and stop confrontations. It’s a personal choice of course, get what suits you and stick with it. No types make you a better referee!

Back