A&H

AR - which hand?

Eye contact is key I think. Flag straight up, look at the referee, wait for a couple of seconds to see if the ref will give a direction, if not (assuming you have no comms), I think you just have to go for it and give a direction p
And if the ball is well down the far end from you and neither you nor ref are sure of direction ..... then it's defensive :)

The Referee Store
In terms of holding the flag whilst running, I got told I keep changing hands too often. I'm naturally right hand so I tend to do it without realising. Should I always be holding the flag in my left hand?

In terms of holding the flag whilst running, I got told I keep changing hands too often. I'm naturally right hand so I tend to do it without realising. Should I always be holding the flag in my left hand?

It should be in the hand closes to the referee, when not signalling.

So if you are running to the goal line this would be your left hand, and if running towards half way this would be your right hand

It should be in the hand closes to the referee, when not signalling.

So if you are running to the goal line this would be your left hand, and if running towards half way this would be your right hand
And then signals always done with the right hand? (providing the throw isn't to my left)

And then signals always done with the right hand? (providing the throw isn't to my left)

Yes, there might be an occasion, other than a throw in to your left, where you signal with your left hand, but I can’t think of one off of the top of my head

Obviously you’d use your left hand to signal for a defensive free kick

I got into the habit of essentially holding the flag in the direction I was 'crabbiing' which basically meant that every time I went into a sprint, I was having to switch hands.

Going off on a bit of a tangent ( but related) - I’ve had this scenario a couple times recently (again today) and I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Ball down the far end of the pitch (from me as AR), couple of players competing for the ball near the touch line. Ball goes out, but comes back in: I need to flag to tell ref ball has gone out, but I can’t tell whose throw (ref in much better position to call that, but won’t be sure if ball has crossed line or not.)

Should I flag (I think so) to indicate ball out of play? But how do I deal with the fact I don’t whose through?

Thanks
J
This is usually covered in pre-match instructions. I hear it when I am AR and mention in mine if in the middle. Some refs break the pitch up into thirds. Your third you lead/middle third (especially near benches) ref will lead and bottom third, clear flag that ball has gone out as you will be looking down the line, the ref will then determine direction. But generally as already stated, lots of eye contact, get it right downstairs before going up.

Going off on a bit of a tangent ( but related) - I’ve had this scenario a couple times recently (again today) and I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Ball down the far end of the pitch (from me as AR), couple of players competing for the ball near the touch line. Ball goes out, but comes back in: I need to flag to tell ref ball has gone out, but I can’t tell whose throw (ref in much better position to call that, but won’t be sure if ball has crossed line or not.)

Should I flag (I think so) to indicate ball out of play? But how do I deal with the fact I don’t whose through?

Thanks
J
I always cover this and ball on far side of goal over the goal line. "I'll make eye contact on almost every stoppage. I'll get deep in the corners because I know it's hard to see who it is out off of from 50 yards away. Same with OB on opposite side of goal. Just flag it and if you dont know just key off me. If I'm not sure and we are both staring at each other, I'll make the call and just signal with me "

Would you not use your left hand to signal a goal kick?
Using the left hand closes off your body to the referee (assuming that the ARs are on the appropriate touchlines as per the LotG diagrams). Using the right arm opens you up and allows you vision of the referee, field, and most of the players.

Using the left hand closes off your body to the referee (assuming that the ARs are on the appropriate touchlines as per the LotG diagrams). Using the right arm opens you up and allows you vision of the referee, field, and most of the players.
Same here in the states. Mechanics I've been taught are to keep yourself open to referee. Gk signalled with right hand. Flag always on side closest to referee.

When moving flag should always be in the hand closest to the pitch or referee. So when crabbing or running towards the goal line that is left hand, when running towards the half way line that is right hand. Offsides, goal kicks and corners always right hand, throw-ins and free kicks obviously defend on direction. All that of course assumes the referee is running a normal diagonal, otherwise you need to reverse it all.

The biggest reason for getting the flag hand wrong is when assistants change direction too much. Unless needing to move quickly it should be sideways movement, and that means the flag doesn't change hands.

When moving flag should always be in the hand closest to the pitch or referee. So when crabbing or running towards the goal line that is left hand, when running towards the half way line that is right hand. Offsides, goal kicks and corners always right hand, throw-ins and free kicks obviously defend on direction. All that of course assumes the referee is running a normal diagonal, otherwise you need to reverse it all.

The biggest reason for getting the flag hand wrong is when assistants change direction too much. Unless needing to move quickly it should be sideways movement, and that means the flag doesn't change hands.

This.

And to avoid changing hands too much when your defense has possession, walking slowly backwards in non-intense situations (defense with possession on far side, CB dropping) is useful.

Otherwise crab crab crab sprint! The more you crab, the less you have to change hands;)

When the mechanics are working well and the game us flowing I usually find I am changing hands at changes of possession and signals and hardly at all at other times.

Back