A&H

AR Observation

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
Had my first observation as an AR a few weeks back. Just had a score back of 74.... this is the first one I’ve had and I didn’t even know he was there. My question is simply, is that good?

The Referee Store
How did you not know?

Surely, at supply league, the official in the middle would have had a notification about and more likely brought it up in the changing room.
Also, the observer would have met before the game (unlike the 5-7 schemes), listened to the pre match etc before letting you get on with the pre match changing, warm up etc.
And he or she will then make an appearance in the changing room to discuss the match with middle and clarify anything that may need clarifying.

Unless I missed this, I assume this happened?
If it did, did you not realise he would also observe you too?

Saying that, well done on the 74.
I find this to be the average I see most weeks. I was fortunate enough to get an 80 last season, and most recent was a 78 but 73-75 is what I see most weeks with very little developments but all comments are very helpful, good or bad.

How did you not know?

Surely, at supply league, the official in the middle would have had a notification about and more likely brought it up in the changing room.
Also, the observer would have met before the game (unlike the 5-7 schemes), listened to the pre match etc before letting you get on with the pre match changing, warm up etc.
And he or she will then make an appearance in the changing room to discuss the match with middle and clarify anything that may need clarifying.

Unless I missed this, I assume this happened?
If it did, did you not realise he would also observe you too?

Saying that, well done on the 74.
I find this to be the average I see most weeks. I was fortunate enough to get an 80 last season, and most recent was a 78 but 73-75 is what I see most weeks with very little developments but all comments are very helpful, good or bad.

I was a late appointment to the game, phone call literally about an hour and a half before KO due to a late drop out so I only turned up about 30 minutes before KO.

How did you not know?

Hmm.... Ref thought he might be assessed but wasn't sure and had heard nothing. NB his 2B mentor was in attendance

During pre-match on the pitch see someone turn up with their walking aid and assistant, takes seat in the stand.

Game goes on, all head back to the changing rooms. 15 mins after final whistle in comes the walking aid and the Observer - first confirmation that he was being observed .....

So even at higher levels there is not always prior confirmation in the days / hours before a game, and you may only know when they turn up in the changing rooms.

Love it even more when, as an assistant, you get commented on your attire that you have turned up to the game in (smart but not suit and shirt) after a 14hr shift!

At higher levels. 4 and above the observer is appointed in MOAS so there really is no reason not to know.

At higher levels. 4 and above the observer is appointed in MOAS so there really is no reason not to know.

Indeed, if this was a supply league game the referee can't not have known he was being observed as he'd have got an email telling him.

Back