A&H

AR involvement in KMI's

Last season I ARed with a reasonably good referee for the first time. There was a throw in near me with R also looking when it was being taken. The player first wanted to throw the ball square but changed his mind, turned and threw the ball to a player near the touchline further up. The action looked iffy. I flagged and he immediately flagged me down. The TI didn't have much impact in the game (it was from the player's own half. I put my flag down and on we went.

At half time, he apologised for waving me down. He thought the action didn't look too goo but it was fine. I said I thought the action was fine too but did you also see that as he turned his right foot was now completely over the line. He said "oh" and apologised again. We both had a good lough though.

Mistrust is like kryptonite to teamwork.
Sounds like there was good rapport within the team to discuss the incident. Whilst not a KMI it can raise an eyebrow when your flag gets waved down. Benches tend to be very quick to spot things like this and will give them an opportunity to question any subsequent flag. I was advised by a referee in a pre-match to try give some sort of indication as to why I am flagging. So if awarding a foul in my area of credibility say for a shirt pull on his blindside, a simple demo of the action sells it and makes it clear. Perhaps in the foul throw scenario, had you indicated the transgression by either stepping over the line or even vocalising the offence it would have helped? Like I say, the overrule was not a major talking point in the game but being in sync on the small stuff gives us credibility when making the big calls.

The Referee Store
Sounds like there was good rapport within the team to discuss the incident. Whilst not a KMI it can raise an eyebrow when your flag gets waved down. Benches tend to be very quick to spot things like this and will give them an opportunity to question any subsequent flag. I was advised by a referee in a pre-match to try give some sort of indication as to why I am flagging. So if awarding a foul in my area of credibility say for a shirt pull on his blindside, a simple demo of the action sells it and makes it clear. Perhaps in the foul throw scenario, had you indicated the transgression by either stepping over the line or even vocalising the offence it would have helped? Like I say, the overrule was not a major talking point in the game but being in sync on the small stuff gives us credibility when making the big calls.
you do have good points there.
Had I known the referee would have waved me down I would have made it more clear. That specific instance wasn't noticed by anyone else and I still think not insisting on the foul throw was the best outcome for the whole officials team with very little impact on the game.

Last edited:
you do have good points there.
Had I known the referee would have waved me down I would have made it more clear. That specific instance wasn't noticed by anyone else and I still think not insisting on the foul throw was the best outcome for the whole officials team with very little impact on the game.
I totally agree and I would not be creating a hissy fit over having a foul throw waved away. I am very much an advocate of assist not insist. I just try to communicate as much info at my disposal to allow the ref to decide.

A foul throw is a weird one. They're so rare and so subjective, unless it's the most obvious thing in the world I'd never think of giving one as a ref without explaining why. So it makes sense to me on that line that if I'm flagging for a borderline foul throw (not that I can recall ever doing it!), some kind of explanation is pretty much mandatory.

A foul throw is a weird one. They're so rare and so subjective, unless it's the most obvious thing in the world I'd never think of giving one as a ref without explaining why. So it makes sense to me on that line that if I'm flagging for a borderline foul throw (not that I can recall ever doing it!), some kind of explanation is pretty much mandatory.

Agreed. I was on the line for a semi final 2 weeks ago and there were 2 occasions where the throw in takers foot had gone over the line and I could've flagged. No one appealed so there seemed no point creating a drama over something nobody saw and has such little impact on the game. I don't think the ref would've wanted it either, he had enough to deal with. I just had a quiet word with the player when he came over for the next throw, never happened again. One thing I noticed as a player on my way down through the league's (and as a ref starting at the bottom and getting occasionally decent standard AR appointments), is that there's hardly ever an appeal for a foul throw at the better standards. At dog and duck level, I probably get 10 appeals a game and hardly ever give one as they usually look a bit messy but are within the laws. It's interesting that foul throws have almost vanished from pro football now and nobody cares about the throwing technique, as long as it isn't ridiculous (and I agree with that stance). It is still a huge issue at the dog and duck level though, with appeals being constant.

I worked in the past with an old (older!) AR who seemed to have a fetish for flagging foul throws, trying to imply subtly that unless the player was outrageous then am not really looking for it, had no bearing, so there you are in the middle having really no problems then your AR wants a foul throw.
Not in tandem with the game, the way am refereeing the game, and, not assistance in controlling the game at all

Fine line though as its someone I know well but in times to come i simply had to half joke before the game, " lets no worry about foul throws today", which of course does not mean, lets not worry about them, but means, lets not, erm, worry too much about them

Same AR in a pen shoot out actually flagged and wanted a word re gk coming off line even though the 2 pens so far were goals, some things I guess bother some folk more than others......and given I had already told the gk to be careful, I thought that made it clear i was in control of it, but clearly not.

Back