A&H

AR Instructions

I think the comment about you not making them feel like you're the boss (or whatever it was) is about making sure they're part of the team rather than just your minions. Some referees make AR's feel like the latter.
A much smaller number than there used to be HM. They are well known on the circuit and don't seem to progress as quickly as they would like as they often make an error when they don't take advice from their ARs

The Referee Store
Sorry, Dave if you took it the wrong way. It was the just "i will go with you regardless" had to be commented on.

NAR's will help you, they are there to help not hinder. For throw-ins, my advice would always be look at me first before flagging in case I go early, forgetting they are there - which is possible.

In fairness more often than not when using a CAR I'd say in a match 80% of throws are obvious and dont require a sign and I wont give them a second look when signalling. For those I'm not sure on I'll give the CAR a glance and go with them if their position means they might know better than me I'll go with them. I find overruling them too often can be a pain and cause alot of issues. However if their view isnt too good and I'm not sure I'll just give it to the defending team! Total cop out really! haha!

My thinking at the moment is the main word is credibility. IF I'm 50 yards away and the NAR is 10 yards from a decision I'm going with them and visa versa. I'll be asking them to look at in the first instance and if I'm looking at them for help I'll go with them, otherwise follow me. I'm lucky that both guys running the line for me do so at a decent level very regularly, so should have a much better idea knowing what they are doing!

Back