A&H

Appointed to a banned players team

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Just a sense check really:

Last season a player used discriminatory language towards me and received a big ban and fine, even after appeal.

My first game of the season I’m reffing his first team (he was on reserves) and I can see he is registered for them, I’m not arsed about re-reffing them and I doubt he plays but wanted to check what other officials would consider doing?

A&H International
Just a sense check really:

Last season a player used discriminatory language towards me and received a big ban and fine, even after appeal.

My first game of the season I’m reffing his first team (he was on reserves) and I can see he is registered for them, I’m not arsed about re-reffing them and I doubt he plays but wanted to check what other officials would consider doing?
New game. Clean Slate. Forget all that has gone before.

Turn up, say hello, smile, make no reference to past events and ref the game you have before you.

Turn up, say hello, smile, make no reference to past events and ref the game you have before you.
Exactly this. I had a situation a few years back in a similar vein where the person in question took part in the second fixture. I did feel more than slightly uncomfortable arriving at the ground, but made a point of smiling and greeting people as normal.

The previous incident didn't get mentioned until after the game when the club secretary thanked me for being professional about it. Turns out they were as conscious of it as me and had issued 'on best behaviour orders' to the individual.

I do think it might not have turned out as well if I had turned up and just slunk off to the changing room. Mentioning it before the game would definitely have been a bad idea

I have just been appointed to a step 5 game where a team didn't pay me and I got them fined by the league.

Whole situation was annoying and I tried everything to help them out. But just going to have to pretend everything is fine and they are fine with me.

Exactly my attitude, got nothing against the guy, probably didn’t even realise the word was what it was. We move on

I know what you mean here but I would say not forgetting it is better. In the sense that it can help with match control if the need arises. The same way as knowing where teams sit on the table, or who the key players are or who the problem players are.

But as you siad, it's important that we make no presumptions you give the teams a clean slate. It's also important that they know this is the case without explicitly saying it. So the smile, the saying hello and all that is even more important than usual.

Hypothetical: what do you do if the said player is on the team sheet? Or not having checked the team sheet but at the start of the game you notice him geared up on the bench?

Hypothetical: what do you do if the said player is on the team sheet? Or not having checked the team sheet but at the start of the game you notice him geared up on the bench?
I’ve just been told it’s actually the reserve team so guess that will be the case!

Just going to deal with it, he knows the FA will back me if he does anything worthy of report so hoping that it’s best behaviour. If not I feel empowered to deal with it

Reactions: one
I’ve just been told it’s actually the reserve team so guess that will be the case!

Just going to deal with it, he knows the FA will back me if he does anything worthy of report so hoping that it’s best behaviour. If not I feel empowered to deal with it
As you should. Really, anyone who feels the need to use discriminatory language towards anyone whatsoever is not worth the time or effort, so I’d say go and be the better person and just deal with any nonsense how you normally would. Exact same situation happened to me last season.

Was physically assaulted last season (Step 7) - punched twice in the face - player was secretary’s son. They gave absolutely zero effs about it, and I simply won’t referee them again. Been given them twice again since and bounced the fixture back both times. CBA mate.

Was physically assaulted last season (Step 7) - punched twice in the face - player was secretary’s son. They gave absolutely zero effs about it, and I simply won’t referee them again. Been given them twice again since and bounced the fixture back both times. CBA mate.
In all fairness, if I was physically assaulted my opinions on giving it a go would be very different.

Match went well, manager and assistant both gave evidence against but were nothing but polite. Player themselves wasn’t there and they ended up winning comfortably so harder to find a reason to blame me!

Just had my first competitive game of the season. Turns out I had them their last game of last season. Totally forgot.

Went to them and said: "Enjoy the first game of the season lads, where's your manager?"

Player: "he's serving a suspension cause you sent him off last game ref"

Good memory me...
When I first started refereeing I went to count the players at the start of the second half, one only had 10 so I asked where their 11th was. "err, you sent him off ref", probably my lowest ever moment in refereeing, I'd somehow forgot I'd binned him for DOGSO right at the start of the game.

Back