A&H

Anyone else have one of these today?

The Ginger Ref

Made me chuckle after overhearing a 13 year old call me s*** after full time.

The same 13 year old who couldn't comprehend getting booked for PI after 2 warnings for going off his feet in a careless manner. I actually tried my best to not have to book him with two very clear warnings but he clearly couldn't help himself.

Unbelivably tempting to respond with something witty regarding the fact his team had just been hammered.

1714314163401.png

The Referee Store
😂 So common. I had an U9's match in January (God only knows why my league bothers wasting our time on those) after which a player was in tears saying why can't they give us an "old and good ref". Made me want to respond about the fact he's not exactly grown himself! He was only moaning because his team lost 4-3 due to 2 stoppage time own goals scored by the very same player. They were 3-0 up at one point.

😂 So common. I had an U9's match in January (God only knows why my league bothers wasting our time on those) after which a player was in tears saying why can't they give us an "old and good ref". Made me want to respond about the fact he's not exactly grown himself! He was only moaning because his team lost 4-3 due to 2 stoppage time own goals scored by the very same player. They were 3-0 up at one point.
I think we can reference enough data that simply being old doesn't make you good. Dear lord I wish it was the case!

I got asked to do an U7s recently by a club I did a few games for previously, I turned it down.

I genuinely don't understand why referees would want to ref/be appointed to anything less than 9v9, which at least is a close enough version of 11v11 with offside etc., especially when anything U9s and below is, in effect, non competitive, 4 quarters of 10 minutes and heading is "banned". It would be up there with refereeing Power League/Leisure Leagues for me personnally, apologies to those who like doing these types of games, for me they just seem to be a hiding to nothing.

I'm sure there will be some that will say that the lower age groups playing mini soccer are a really good proving ground for trainee referees, personally i'm not sure they are as they don't tend to follow the same LOTG as 9v9 and 11v11, if anything, I think they would be somewhat detrimental to the development of a new referee. (I can just imagine stopping play because there is a header in OA because last week I was reffing u8s)

I got asked to do an U7s recently by a club I did a few games for previously, I turned it down.

I genuinely don't understand why referees would want to ref/be appointed to anything less than 9v9, which at least is a close enough version of 11v11 with offside etc., especially when anything U9s and below is, in effect, non competitive, 4 quarters of 10 minutes and heading is "banned". It would be up there with refereeing Power League/Leisure Leagues for me personnally, apologies to those who like doing these types of games, for me they just seem to be a hiding to nothing.

I'm sure there will be some that will say that the lower age groups playing mini soccer are a really good proving ground for trainee referees, personally i'm not sure they are as they don't tend to follow the same LOTG as 9v9 and 11v11, if anything, I think they would be somewhat detrimental to the development of a new referee. (I can just imagine stopping play because there is a header in OA because last week I was reffing u8s)
Each go their own, but I started out in mini-soccer. Gave me a great footing to get the basics right I.e.- signalling, whistle tone, how to deal with coaches.

Of course some people will go straight into 11v11 or open age, but that doesn't work for everyone.

That said, when you referee 9v9, are you enforcing the exact same laws you would in an 11v11 open age game?

Each go their own, but I started out in mini-soccer. Gave me a great footing to get the basics right I.e.- signalling, whistle tone, how to deal with coaches.
Absolutely each to their own, I referenced it as such, "a great proving ground for trainee referees", especially for those that may not have the playing experience, I think this can probably apply to younger trainee referees who may not have the confidence an adult would have going into games.

That said, when you referee 9v9, are you enforcing the exact same laws you would in an 11v11 open age game?
On 95% of things, Yes.

For example, I have more leniency around foul throws because 9v9 is more about development of players, whereas in 11v11 OA "football expects ;)" foul throws to be given from the start*.

*Actually, i'm not sure football expects foul throws to be given... because they never are at professional level 🤣.

I agree with this, although I found 3 mini soccer games massively helped my confidence going into my first 9v9s. I have to be honest, I never stopped play for heading and the coaches never asked for it so I'm assuming it's allowed in the league I do. Now? I always turn down U7's/U8's and I would only do U9s or 10s if I had no other appointments coming, it was the night before the game, and I was in a generous mood. I'd consider it as a post-injury way of building fitness slightly back up, although it wouldn't do much.

Back