A&H

Another question this time re kits.

GazzaJAnimal

Oh no, it's me again...lol!

When it comes to tournament play (ie World Cup, Confederations Cup, etc), who decides what colours the teams wear? The reason why I asked was that there have ( to my eyes at least) been a couple of strange colour combinations worn in the Confed Cup. While I haven't watched all the games in this tourney last night's game between Brasil and Uruguay was the first match I saw in which both teams wore their first choice colours of shirts, shorts and socks. I saw Nigeria and Uruguay play when Nigeria wore their all green with white trim outfit whereas Uruguay wore an all white with pale blue trim ensemble when by any stretch of imagination or interpretation their first choice of Sky blue shirts, black shorts and socks does not clash with all green. I've also seen Brasil wear white shorts and socks and blue shorts and socks in seperate matches in this tournament. So who does decide these things, anybody know?

The Referee Store
Generally what happens is that there is a meeting (either before every match day, or at the very start of the tournament) wherein representatives of the national associations are present with, usually, the head of officiating and the person in charge of the tournament from FIFA (whoever that might be). The national associations all bring every available kit they have at the tournament and the decisions for colours in every match (either for the whole tournament or for the next match day) is decided there. The tournament organizer and the head of referees will ensure that no clashing colours are worn, and they will decide what colour the referees are to wear. For what it's worth, this is also how it works at Canadian National Championships as well.

Back