A&H

Animal abuse during a game

pankaye

Level 5 Referee
I saw this on an American referee facebook page:
What action can a referee take (based on the LOTG) if a player brutally throws a dog that had wandered unto the field of play during a game?

The Referee Store
I saw this on an American referee facebook page:
What action can a referee take (based on the LOTG) if a player brutally throws a dog that had wandered unto the field of play during a game?

Violent conduct is violent conduct .... :cool:

Sendinf off yes.

But the debate i was invloved was whether it was for s2 (vc) or s6 (offinabus)

Very interesting question. If it was for VC then it shouldn't be any difference to what animal it is and where it is. But let's say a rat runs across the field and a player deliberately kicks it out of the park. I know in many countries no one would even raise an eyebrow to it.

It is somewhat of the community standards that determines the outcome so it could easily be an S6 or VC.

Very interesting question. If it was for VC then it shouldn't be any difference to what animal it is and where it is. But let's say a rat runs across the field and a player deliberately kicks it out of the park. I know in many countries no one would even raise an eyebrow to it.

It is somewhat of the community standards that determines the outcome so it could easily be an S6 or VC.

since all animals legally are seen and property (you cant murder a dog for intance only charge with animal cruelty and criminal damage to property). The lotg as currently written means vc can only be against people (opponents, team mates, match officials, ream officials spectators or any other person) that rules out animals and other non human things.

since all animals legally are seen and property (you cant murder a dog for intance only charge with animal cruelty and criminal damage to property). The lotg as currently written means vc can only be against people (opponents, team mates, match officials, ream officials spectators or any other person) that rules out animals and other non human things.
However, @socal lurker points out that in this case the offence was reported as VC and the red card was upheld. I think classifying this as Violent Conduct is in accord with the "spirit of the law" and is "what football expects." As the IFAB tells us:
The Laws cannot deal with every possible situation, so where there is no direct provision in the Laws, The IFAB expects the referee to make a decision within the ‘spirit’ of the game – this often involves asking the question, “what would football want/expect?”

Back