A&H

An odd comment today.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Under 13s game two teams from the same club.

An elderly man had been watching his grandson playing right back so was standing by him for support.

Hes making his way over the pitch half time to again stand by his grandson and we start chatting about refereeing, football in general, football from years gone by, nice pleasent chat.

Just before we are about to resume for the second half the other teams manager comments "you cant have him on the pitch there ref", to which i asked why ?

Im not even sure what he said next but i think he though the old guy was trying to influence me in some way.

I told him we were just chatting about football in general but he wouldn't have it.

Is there actually anything against someone coming on the pitch at HT, a lot of parents stand by the side of their children and swap sides.

The Referee Store
To be honest usually in youth football I think they should be behind the respect barrier for safeguarding reasons like he’s not likely to be DBS checked and sometimes they can cause problems when they stand there. Obviously in a park you can’t enforce it but like Brian said he’s being quite OTT and I’m sure it’s not like he’s influencing you but people like that drive us all nuts 🤣

The league I officiate in specifies that parents/spectators must remain on one side of the pitch behind a respect barrier. The coach however does sound like a d*#k

There was no barrier but even if there was this was at HT, all he was doing was crossing the pitch as a short cut.

anything covid related? only players and officials on the pitches here.

In the circumstances the reaction is harsh but generally speaking only players and in some instances team officials should be on the field of play. A lot of leagues and associations do stress this as part of whatever behavioural protocol the operate, probably more so in these COVID times. This was made clear to me a couple of years ago - I was watching a game in the local park and at half time I walked on to tell the referee (who I knew) that his controversial decision not to award a penalty was correct in my opinion. I was a bit surprised when he ushered me off but he was correct. I've used this to good effect myself a couple of times since. For every friendly granddad there's 100 idiots unfortunately.

My son plays mini football in goal and I support him (or annoy him depending on how you look at it) by standing at the end where he is playing. There is a respect barrier and no one should be standing behind the goal. I will change ends at half time and often stand with the opposition parents. No issues to date doing this but that's only because there is a clear seperation between coaches and spectators.

Either way, i'm not sure how one old guy supporting his grandson could have much influence on the outcome of the game.

Under 13s game two teams from the same club.

An elderly man had been watching his grandson playing right back so was standing by him for support.

Hes making his way over the pitch half time to again stand by his grandson and we start chatting about refereeing, football in general, football from years gone by, nice pleasent chat.

Just before we are about to resume for the second half the other teams manager comments "you cant have him on the pitch there ref", to which i asked why ?

Im not even sure what he said next but i think he though the old guy was trying to influence me in some way.

I told him we were just chatting about football in general but he wouldn't have it.

Is there actually anything against someone coming on the pitch at HT, a lot of parents stand by the side of their children and swap sides.

When was the last time a manager knew the LOTG?

The only people barred from entering the field of play at half time or full time to remonstrate with the referee are technical area occupants.

Back