A&H

Am I going crazy?

Genuinely perplexed as to an incident yesterday and cannot tell whether I messed up or whether the knowledge of the laws is really that bad.

1-1 after about 15 minutes in an U12 game. Away team takes a long range effort, keeper saves, it falls to away striker who taps it in. Away striker is clearly in an offside position when his teammate struck the shot, I blow for the offside. Cue pandemonium.

The players are fuming, claiming the keeper touched it. I thought some of the players would know this rule, but I’m expecting this confusion from some U12s. I quickly explain the rule and signal for play to continue. However the manager then begins screaming, asking how it can be offside when the keeper touched it. I quickly shout over the rule to him as play continues but he doesn’t seem to accept it.

2 minutes later he’s still moaning and at this age kids take their lead from their manager. If the manager gets riled up, the kids do, and fouls start flying in. With a responsibility at U12 to keep the kids safe, this needs to be avoided. I have a quick word with the manager and suggest that he stays quiet for the next 5 minutes or so until half time and I’ll show him the rule, to which he agrees.

As predicted, the away team start losing their heads and fouling a lot. Cue the parents shouts “ignore the referee, keep going lads” and always a favourite “it’s 2-1 really lads, keep going.” At this point, self doubt is creeping into my head. Numerous parents are making the latter comment, the manager doesn’t believe it and the players don’t. What’s causing the doubt is that I thought it was a well known law. Have I made up a law?

At half time a quick look at Law 11 finds what I’m looking for:

“A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has been deliberately saved by any opponent”

I showed that to the away manager, to which he apologised profusely, went over to tell his parents to calm down and explained it to his players. The home manager admitted when he was paying me he had no idea that was a law. Away team kept their heads second half and won 4-1.

A slight detour, a year ago a refereeing mentor told me we had a FIFA generation. Players, parents and managers only understand the game based on the laws they see in the video game FIFA. He points out that’s why many players are surprised by certain decisions, they don’t really know the LOTG, just a version of it.

This is something I can see. We say on here all the time none of these groups know the LOTG. But the fact is, I knew of this rule long before I became a ref. Why? Because I was confused why my goals kept getting disallowed in FIFA and soon it clicked its because the keeper saved it. A Google search confirmed my suspicions.

I think the reason it created so much self doubt is because I thought it was a well known law and when it wasn’t, I was convinced I must have made a mistake. Even now as I write this I’m doubting myself. So quickly, my closing questions

Did I make the right call? Or have I mis interpreted the law and therefore become guilty of being a part of the FIFA generation? Anything else about my game you want to comment on? Cheers all

The Referee Store
Spot on application of the LOTG.

Amazing how few players, coaches, parents actually know the laws but I actually thought that was quite a well known one. Numerous instances of it happening in the professional game, but maybe the younger generation just aren't watching as much football

Like br_pockets says, the situation you describe is a pretty regular occurrence at all levels of football. Even at U12 I'd expect players to know that isn't offside and certainly the manager should know better.

Did I make the right call? Or have I mis interpreted the law and therefore become guilty of being a part of the FIFA generation? Anything else about my game you want to comment on? Cheers all
You were right of course - but I think that's a really interesting point about the 'FIFA generation'. Mind you, I hate it that the animation still shows assistants raising the flag then moving it to the right direction for throws.

The other factor I think that has really gained ground ("bah, youth of today, etc" 😉 ) is the immediate assumption that the 'expert' on the field has got it wrong. That's what accounts for comments gaining ground without challenge in situations like this I think. I had the similar one the other day for a player making a deliberate attempt to play the ball but heading it backwards to an otherwise offside player. I was told - loudly and repeatedly - and by players, club officials and spectators alike - that I didn't have a clue and didn't understand the rules.

I’ve never had the brass balls or ego to say it, but often thought of the reply, “well if I was any good I wouldn’t be here” 😂

I've said it loads of times! Also told players that my gran could take the referee course and be refereeing your team next week. But I did know the players and I knew it'd go down as a laugh.

When I first took up the whistle and I got the "you've never played" line I've told them the league that I played in. Don't be snobby about it but I've told them the truth and they can do with that what they like. One thing I won't have as a ref at park level is players thinking I'm weak. If they challenge me I'll challenge them back at park level. Then I'll laugh with them over something next time. Higher up the leagues I won't do that on the pitch, only in conversation in the bar after. When I first started I had one u16 player tell me that I dont understand football and his dad played up front with me so I told him to ask his dad when he got home. He never did though because I rang him!

But going back to the original point I've told people to "Google it later" on a number of occasions when I know I'm right. Half the time you can probably say it when you're wrong because the wording is so lengthy that it takes re reading 4 times before you've got it in your head and nobody bothers doing that other than refs. But if people are still going on about it to you minutes later then when the ball is out of play tell them you've had enough now and it's one for after the game. If you do it publically at a kids match the parents will all be sick of the moaning too and just want to get on with the match.

I’ve never had the brass balls or ego to say it, but often thought of the reply, “well if I was any good I wouldn’t be here” 😂

It works, in small doses.
" look mate we are both on this same pitch for the same reason"

of course yes, you need choose your player, time, and place carefully.
Get the right guy and he sits in your pocket
get the wrong guy and he will make a laughing stock of you.

Just touching on Bens post above, I did a uni game once and a guy told me in the first half how poor I was, and that, " my dads a better ref than you"
Intrigued, at half time i checked the teamline and recognised the distinct surname.
True to form, he came in with another shout early in the second half, to which i was ready
" yes I agree am sh1t, blame your dad, he mentored me"

the end

I think some of the issue on the save is the change in the Laws over recent times that have expanded what kind of "play" by a defender resets OS. People (especially attackers and parents of attackers!) have picked up that part of the Law without picking up the "save" part of the Law.

I also think that these calls get missed a fair amount--and missed calls in my favor, of course, must have been right!

Amazing how few players, coaches, parents actually know the laws but I actually thought that was quite a well known one.
That’s why I think it created so much self doubt. I was so sure people would know this law that the large amount of backlash confused me to the point my only thought was “I must have the law wrong.”

I mean, maybe the argument was that the player was onside when the ball was struck but he was extremely clearly off. And, the manager was more questioning whether you could be offside after it had touched the keeper. I think it’s just the large amount of shock to what I thought was an obvious call. Players, manager and then parents with the “it’s really 2-1 comment”, acting like they’d been robbed.

I do remember playing in an U15 game where the opposition manager was convinced you could be offside from a throw in. So I guess that shows not everyone know even the easy laws
I also think that these calls get missed a fair amount--
I think I might have been guilty of this tbf albeit unintentionally. There’s a few times where I’ve felt it could be offside in a similar situations but I wasn’t certain and no appeals meant I lacked the bottle to go with it. Although perhaps the lack of appeals is due to people not understanding the laws. However this offside was ridiculously obvious. I thought there’d have been a riot if I didn’t give it, turns out there was almost a riot because I did

Back