A&H

Allan McGregor V Aberdeen

The Referee Store
Is this a challenge for the ball?

I think you could opine the GK has the ball well under control and the flying feet leg breaker is thus VC...

But also ”any opponent who lunges at an opponent from the front” etc. makes this more obviously SFP.

I have a confession to make on this clip

It took me a few looks to spot McGregor's leading leg
My 1st opinion on the clip was NOthing wrong with it, get on with it
After having had a few looks at it my view soon changed to PK & RC

I have a confession to make on this clip

It took me a few looks to spot McGregor's leading leg
My 1st opinion on the clip was NOthing wrong with it, get on with it
After having had a few looks at it my view soon changed to PK & RC

Exact same for me
And, am sure the ref.

Already seen it so not a first take, but it's a penalty and dismissal for SFP.
The position of the leg is clear but the contact is harder to spot on the first angle.

I agree with above posters, first view what am i missing but the replays show its an awful "tackle"

Its not a natural position for your legs to be in when diving out like that, hes gone to do him good and proper.

SFP for me too. But only a two match ban? three or four would have been far more suitable. The sneaky nature of the tackle to deceive everyone should have counted against him.

I'm not convinced, sometimes coming out as a keeper you bring your legs up and round to protect yourself and smother the ball.

You can make an argument that it's a foul and a PK, and a red too, but I'm going tk be honest, I just don't see it.

Too much doubt to call this one IMO. What happened if the keeper didn't bring his legs up? The striker still gets cleaned out at a high speed regardless.

I'm not convinced, sometimes coming out as a keeper you bring your legs up and round to protect yourself and smother the ball.

You can make an argument that it's a foul and a PK, and a red too, but I'm going tk be honest, I just don't see it.

Too much doubt to call this one IMO. What happened if the keeper didn't bring his legs up? The striker still gets cleaned out at a high speed regardless.

As much as most the replies, and the ref on the day, dont see it first time...which is understandable.....on replay its horrendous

Striker cleaned out? Still sounds like sfp.

As a former goalkeeper, I hate to say I used this type of leading leg a bit. Not so much studs up but I justified it by thinking it was a protection mechanism. It sometimes cleared the striker out but as I'm a big guy, a lot didn't bother. I could always say 'I got the ball ref' and was never penalised for it. Similar to a choice knee in the back when you go up for a high catch. It was then ( 30 years ago) and still is now a SFP offence.

Reactions: one
Ummm...are you watching the video? Bringing your legs around to protect yourself is a far cry from sticking a straight leg, studs first, right at your opponent's knees.

Also, just because 'sometimes as a keeper you do this' doesn't in the slightest mean it's not a RC. Keeper has the responsibility to play safely. He didn't. You don't get to come in with a potential leg breaker because keeper reasons.

Back