A&H

After-Match Fight

this afternoon I was stood pitch side waiting for a game to finish before mine started.
Once the ref blew full time all sorts of pushing and shoving and handbags started.

I felt for the young lad as it was a good game and he looked a little lost in there.

Once full time has been blown does the ref have authority to caution/send off? I was thinking to myself about what I’d have done and I wasn’t sure if cards could be issued.
He didn’t issue any, but there were 3/4 players who would have been yellowed if it had been in the match.
Pitchside yes, walking back yes, back in the changing room no....

The Referee Store
this afternoon I was stood pitch side waiting for a game to finish before mine started.
Once the ref blew full time all sorts of pushing and shoving and handbags started.

I felt for the young lad as it was a good game and he looked a little lost in there.

Once full time has been blown does the ref have authority to caution/send off? I was thinking to myself about what I’d have done and I wasn’t sure if cards could be issued.
He didn’t issue any, but there were 3/4 players who would have been yellowed if it had been in the match.
Law 5 ;)

Also... law 5 ;)
"[the referee] has the authority to take disciplinary action from entering the field of play for the pre-match inspection until leaving the field of play after the match ends (including kicks from the penalty mark). If, before entering the field of play at the start of the match, a player commits a sending-off offence, the referee has the authority to prevent the player taking part in the match (see Law 3.6); the referee will report any other misconduct"

Does this mean when you come out 5 mins before kick off and ARs break off and check nets, or does it literally mean when you're checking the pitch 30+ mins prior? Because if it is the latter, you aren't going to be on the pitch from then until kick-off so how does that work?

You’re in for a great afternoon if you’re sending someone off before it starts... I know it’s possible but surely highly unlikely....

"[the referee] has the authority to take disciplinary action from entering the field of play for the pre-match inspection until leaving the field of play after the match ends (including kicks from the penalty mark). If, before entering the field of play at the start of the match, a player commits a sending-off offence, the referee has the authority to prevent the player taking part in the match (see Law 3.6); the referee will report any other misconduct"

Does this mean when you come out 5 mins before kick off and ARs break off and check nets, or does it literally mean when you're checking the pitch 30+ mins prior? Because if it is the latter, you aren't going to be on the pitch from then until kick-off so how does that work?
You misunderstand. The fighting was from a game I wasn’t reffing, merely watching before my game.

Wholeheartedly agree, I would not write a report. If you were off the pitch already than your job is done. You could act as a concerned citizen at that point which is what I would have done as well even if I was still suited up. But once I am off the pitch it clearly tells me that my role as a referee is over.

Your question was: 'Once full time has been blown does the ref have authority to caution/send off?'

Think you bolded the wrong bit.

So at the end of the game, once the referee has left the pitch, the referee no longer has the authority to issue discipline sanctions.

Anything you witness there after becomes an extraordinary incident.

Thanks guys.
The ref was on the pitch (very close to it all happening) when it kicked off.
Felt sorry for him. The away manager was trying to boss the situation too. Good learning curve for him- utter nonesense for an U12 match to finish like that.
@JH i wasn’t being funny or anything mate.

On what the poster stated, surely some sort of report has to go in? As he's already suggested he could have been caught in the recording, surely you can't just claim to have seen 'nothing' at this point? Surely as a minimum you'd put a report in saying pretty much what the OP said, excluding the hearsay?

On what the poster stated, surely some sort of report has to go in? As he's already suggested he could have been caught in the recording, surely you can't just claim to have seen 'nothing' at this point? Surely as a minimum you'd put a report in saying pretty much what the OP said, excluding the hearsay?

Agreed.

I'd be inclined to report at least what I saw and what was said to me. If only to cover my own arse at a later point.

You can't pick and choose the occurrences you want to be involved in - whether indirectly or not.

For example, if somebody approached you after a match had finished and told you he'd been subject to say, racist or homophobic abuse during the game (which you yourself neither heard nor saw) and that he'd be putting in a complaint about it - you'd probably at the very least report the fact that he mentioned it to you - again just to cover your arse. Why should a post-match violent incident be any different? :)

Think you bolded the wrong bit.

So at the end of the game, once the referee has left the pitch, the referee no longer has the authority to issue discipline sanctions.

Anything you witness there after becomes an extraordinary incident.
The bit I bolded was the bit I asked a question about, separate from the OP.
Thanks guys.
The ref was on the pitch (very close to it all happening) when it kicked off.
Felt sorry for him. The away manager was trying to boss the situation too. Good learning curve for him- utter nonesense for an U12 match to finish like that.
@JH i wasn’t being funny or anything mate.
Neither was I!

Back