A&H

After-Match Fight

The Referee Store
You’re in for a great afternoon if you’re sending someone off before it starts... I know it’s possible but surely highly unlikely....
A referee in my locality when doing his pitch inspection heard one of the players warming up say 'oh no we've got that little tw*t again' . He red carded him much to his astonishment. His team did have more than the basic 11 and so were able to start with a full team.

A referee in my locality when doing his pitch inspection heard one of the players warming up say 'oh no we've got that little tw*t again' . He red carded him much to his astonishment. His team did have more than the basic 11 and so were able to start with a full team.
I've heard multiple times locally the story of the ref who sent off two players who took the opportunity to visit the pitch-side bushes pre-match.

I'd be smiling on the inside if I heard that... Its job half done..... Its fear.... they fear what you can do, and what you won't put up with!!!! Happy days....

"[the referee] has the authority to take disciplinary action from entering the field of play for the pre-match inspection until leaving the field of play after the match ends (including kicks from the penalty mark). If, before entering the field of play at the start of the match, a player commits a sending-off offence, the referee has the authority to prevent the player taking part in the match (see Law 3.6); the referee will report any other misconduct"

Does this mean when you come out 5 mins before kick off and ARs break off and check nets, or does it literally mean when you're checking the pitch 30+ mins prior? Because if it is the latter, you aren't going to be on the pitch from then until kick-off so how does that work? Show the red or just prevent them from taking part? How would it be reported?
Can anyone advise?

The bit I bolded was the bit I asked a question about, separate from the OP.

Oh, then to answer that, yes it's from the '30+ minutes' when you've entered to do the pitch inspection. It doesn't matter if you're not on the pitch in between from then until the match starts, it just gives you power to act if something kicks off in the ground, the tunnel, the warm up procedures etc.

Don't need to show the red card if you don't have it, though you do need to inform them and the manager I'd assume. - It should be sent in as a red card report I believe.

Reactions: JH
Oh, then to answer that, yes it's from the '30+ minutes' when you've entered to do the pitch inspection. It doesn't matter if you're not on the pitch in between from then until the match starts, it just gives you power to act if something kicks off in the ground, the tunnel, the warm up procedures etc.

Don't need to show the red card if you don't have it, though you do need to inform them and the manager I'd assume. - It should be sent in as a red card report I believe.

Was Evra not sent off in the warm up for whatever team he was playing for last season? I don't think a card is shown, you simply advise that XX cannot play and the matter will be reported as v/c, or whatever

I once advised a tournament that a player who was sent off the week before (2 weekends tournament) was ineligible as we'd collectively agreed before the tournament started that anyone sent off for violent conduct was ineligible for the rest of the tournament. I'd sent him off the week before for head butting an opponent along with his brother GK who called me a f'*** C*** as we walked off. :cool: Strangely he was allowed to play LOL!!

As referees we got together and were going home unless the rule was abided to... Thankfully it was...... I then sent his manager to the car park in the semi final too!!! What a team of f'*** n**s....:poop:

Aw, the paperwork.....no thanks. I sent off a well-known jackass parent this Saturday. He actually only deserved a yellow so I decided that I sent him into an adult timeout in the first half...which I then forgot to release the manchild back into the park.....was asked if I was going to write a report. I said what for?

Aw, the paperwork.....no thanks. I sent off a well-known jackass parent this Saturday. He actually only deserved a yellow so I decided that I sent him into an adult timeout in the first half...which I then forgot to release the manchild back into the park.....was asked if I was going to write a report. I said what for?
The good news is you did not ignore poor behaviour.
The bad news is you went above and beyond referee's authority and ignored your reporting obligations. This might make things easier for you but in all likelyhood makes next week's ref's job harder.

Not at all my friend. You need to take note that where I referee, where I admin and instruct is a tiny island in the middle of the ocean. We do not have referees. We actually only have about 8 USSF certified referees so I would say that we are the wild way far out west. I just now brought a referee clinic this past fall and we increased out pool by 5. The rest, including the old-timers there that ref day in and day out are still not certified but capable, but also a bit blind. LOL. What I really appreciate this forum for is the dialouge I get every time I log on.

Also take note, this parent, I just gave him a warning for the upcoming boys HS season when I sent him off. His kid gets sent off every year, he gets cautioned every year. On a small rock such as where I live, we have to do things in somewhat of a rogue style.

Mahalo

In the end, I decided to email my RDO for advice. He came back and told me that the governance team would be investigating this incident, and that it was worth putting in a report saying that I saw nothing, at the very least so that they knew there was no real benefit to contacting me and/or inviting me to attend a hearing if the investigation went that far.

I suspect that the away team manager's suggestion that the home team had a bit of a history may not have been that far off if they're this keen to investigate!

Question on this. You send this player off, do they start with 11 or 10, and what if the team sheet has already been given to you with their name in the starting 11?

If you didn't see something I'm not sure what you could report.

I guess if I were in your situation I would fire off a quick email to my RDO to check what the county would expect i.e. either a report to say that Mr xxx said something happened but I didn't witness anything, or whether they would expect you not to report something.

I was AR on a Bostick U18s and a player waited for another to come off at half time and hit him (apparently)

None of the ref team saw it- everyone knew what had happened. Disgracefully the perpetrator's management team let him play the 2nd half - nothing we could do about it. Referee did say if he so much as breathes in the wrong place he would send him off but the crafty ****didn't even commit a foul.

To cap it all, he then had the gall at the end of the game to start complaining that no one from oppo was shaking his hand!

It was at this point that the referee told him in no uncertain times to just shut up and get off the pitch!

I think, use your judgement on whether you think something _needs_ to be done about the fight.

Are we just talking about your typical mass confrontation where nothing really happens, some grabbing and pushing? Maybe a punch or two? Don't bother.

If it's a really nasty, really violent incident - then yeah, report what you've seen. If the FA says 'out of jurisdiction' then so be it.

If it's a particularly nasty, violent incident and you've submitted a report, then at least you've got it down in writing in case police become involved.

Question on this. You send this player off, do they start with 11 or 10, and what if the team sheet has already been given to you with their name in the starting 11?
They start with 11. Whether the team sheet can be amended depends on the competition rules. Which you should always make sure you have easy access to.

Back