A&H

Advice to ARs on Penalties.

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
Hi all

I know there are threads on pre match briefings with ARs.

However, I was wondering what people brief their Neutral ARs in relation to penalties specifically, do you allow them to get involved in the decision process? How? When?

I have experienced a lot of different ways of doing this and so was hoping to improve upon my briefing as a result.

Thanks

The Referee Store
The usual brief is:
1)I see it, I give it
2)I see it, I shout "No" and cut the grass
3)I look at you with "Help!" written on my forehead. If you think it is, signal it. If you think it's not, shake your head, call "No" or make it clear. Only if 100% sure, give it.

The usual brief is:
1)I see it, I give it
2)I see it, I shout "No" and cut the grass
3)I look at you with "Help!" written on my forehead. If you think it is, signal it. If you think it's not, shake your head, call "No" or make it clear. Only if 100% sure, give it.
Pretty much same as above, with the addition of a number 4

4) There's a foul/handball, I see it, I blow. But I don't know if it's in or outside the area. If I delay my signal and look at you, take exaggerated step to halfway line for free kick/outside; carry on moving to corner flag if pen/inside (no need to flag)

At higher levels / more confidence in your ARs you can choose to add in one specific circumstance where the AR can / should lead the decision .... handball offences from right wing crosses where the defender's offending arm is often out of sight of the referee but plainly obvious to the AR

Back