A&H

Advice regarding odd league behaviour

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
A few months ago I started reffing on a midweek evening league that plays on 3G under floodlights. You get neutral assistants and the pace of play is quick, I was really enjoying it.

The league is run by a guy I will call Henry. After a few weeks he called me to say there were two important matches coming up; one a potential league decider and the other a cup final. Both matches involve the same two teams, one of the teams has a bit of a reputation, and he wants a strong ref to do both, the venue is further from where I live than I normally go but would I do them please? I said fine.

So the first match comes up. First half is hard work but no cards, everyone happy. Second half 4 yellows, a red, and for the first time in my 6 years as a ref I abandon the match as a player squares up to me and knocks my cards out of my hands. All the naughtiness is from the team that's NOT supposed to be a problem.

Chatting to the linos after the game it turns out that the manager of the offending team is none other than Henry the guy who runs the league, and does the referee selection. This was news to me.

Since then I have had no more appointments and my name has been removed from the list of officials for the cup final. I have emailed the league to ask why and got no response.

It strikes me that having the ref sec and/or league sec manage a team in the league is not a very good idea. I'm inclined to bring this to the attention of the CFA, do you think that's wise?

The Referee Store
It strikes me that having the ref sec and/or league sec manage a team in the league is not a very good idea. I'm inclined to bring this to the attention of the CFA, do you think that's wise?

Indeed, the conflict of interest here is remarkable. A correctly worded email (i.e. sensitive/empathetic/inquisitive in nature and not authoritative/questioning) to the CFA RDO would be beneficial in this situation definitely. They can then direct in terms of next steps, or even provide alternative leagues to referee on if so desired

Back