A&H

Junior/Youth Advice please

steamydaz1966

Level 7 Referee
Today, Orange v Green, U10's. Green penalised four times just inside their own half. On each occasion their No8 stands on the ball as Orange place the ball and he asks everytime for me to count out distance for a wall, even though the distance is probably 30 feet away from goal. Each time I did this for him, but Orange just want to get on with it. Final time it was just outside Orange penalty area approximately 60 feet from No8's own goal. I told him enough, don't be silly. My opinion is the lad was just wasting time and trying to hold up play. Professionals out there please give me your advice on how to deal with this, as this lad is in my sons team and I know next week he'll try the same. Thank you in advance.

The Referee Store
If he's in the same team as your son, that means you know his coach. Have a word with the coach to get the point across that what he is doing is a cautionable offence and that he made things a bit difficult for you. Players are entitled to ask you to count the steps, but it seems like this guy, despite being rather young, was just taking the p. Educate in training and that will hopefully rub off in the games. He's obviously either been told to do this or he's not aware of the problem he's causing.

Other than that, not getting back the required distance is a cautionable offence. Do it. Don't be worried about his age or the fact the parents are there. This way he will learn. If he does it twice, two cautions and send him off. Make him learn the hard way. The coach and parents will want an explanation... Just refer them to the rule book. No arguments then. I have been known to do that In my games, I get very annoyed when I hear kids swearing. I warn them caution, regardless of their age.

Thanks for the advice David. He is a cheeky little chappie, talented, reads the game well but for example, when it's a goal kick and a case of retreat to your own half he'll try his luck by hanging about in the opposing half to gain advantage. Your advice is exactly what I were thinking but sometimes you need reassurance. Next week I will warn him (he's the captain) I won't tolerate it. Many thanks again.

I'm glad to hear you thought the same :)

At such a young age, education and discipline will make a massive difference. I was very cautious and thought "I can't book/send off a kid", but if you have this attitude, you're making them think it's okay to do what they do.

Just have confidence, be stern but fair. They'll soon respect you for it

I'm enjoying these replies. It'll be great next week when he tries it again and I've got the correct info. Thanks again

Prematch, warn him that you're on to his game and not to push his luck by trying it again. A stitch in time :)

I've spoken to a coach after a similarly cheeky but talented kid did this once last year in u10s. He fouled outside his box to break up a promising attack and quickly went and stood over the ball. As i approached him i said "you've just done enough to get yourself sent off" to which the young chap replied "what? I can stand here if i want!" I blew the whistle to stop and went over to the coach to explain that if he doesn't pipe down after those 3 offences he's going to be the youngest ever player I'll send off.

He was immediately substituted and cried for the rest of the game. Turned out the coach was his dad!

Few months later i reffed him again. Good as gold apart from his awful throw ins...he took them all and was constantly jumping to get more distance. After the second i warned him then the third i made him take it again. His coach/dad took him off again! At least they both learned something!

Am I reading this right? Is there a unanimous decision so far on this thread to caution a 9 year old boy and then send him off (if it happens again) for failing to respect the required difference at a restart?

I'm not trying to start the old " how long before we enforce the LOTG fully?" debate, but I can't be the only one who finds this extremely excessive?

Essentially the guidance for mini soccer at this age is to educate and have fun. Its not about flashing the cards. Personally I'd be telling the lad first time round to move back and why. If it carried on I'd raise it with the manager. Plus this sort of behaviour shouldnt be encouraged at this age by the coaches or managers.

Reactions: Kes
@HullRef , I don't think the advice given to me means I should stand over the child laying down the law. Firstly, I'm not that type of ref. I encourage the lads, complimenting good throw-ins, interceptions, etc but I just wanted to know whether I can say, "Chas, you can't do that mate, and next year when we move up to 9v9 it will be a bookable offence so best it stops now". And I know with the lad how polite he is it will stop. I just wanted to know whether he was doing anything wrong as I hadn't come across this before.

I will say standing over a freekick is one of my pet hates. Its a right d1ck move by whoever does it. So I pick up on it quickly and would happily flash a card for it.

Nope, he is certainly not entitled to ask that as he is on the offending team. Tell him to move back straight away or you're cautioning him.

If the referee hasn't paced out the permitted distance, then of course he's entitled to ask "where too, Ref?". That's a no brainier, just like the attacking team can ask. That's what I'm getting at by saying he can ask. How many players do you ever see pacing out for a free kick?!? Regardless of age.

And also @HullRef no-one is saying or has said to send a kid off. My opinion and approach is that you can't be afraid to use your cards because of their age. At such a young age, they are getting to know the laws. I used to coach kids and respecting the permitted distance is a day one, week one drill. They know better than to disregard what a referee has to say. Education is key here. But, some youngsters forget all that when they get on the field. Education.

If the referee hasn't paced out the permitted distance, then of course he's entitled to ask "where too, Ref?". That's a no brainier, just like the attacking team can ask.

He's entitled to ask - but he's also not permitted to stand over the ball and demand as he's delaying the restart. Of course, if you get there quickly you can take control of the situation - 'back with me player please' shows that you are managing where he can stand.

How many pace out every freekick? If your fit, chances are you will be close to the spot of the freekick. Just tell them to get back to a distance you believe to be 10 yards (you get very accurate with practice as to how far players need to move).

One of my pet hates is referees who allow the practice of players standing on the ball and asking for a ceremonial freekick (asking for it to be paced out, on the whistle etc). That is the attacking teams prerogative - the defending teams only part in proceedings as defined in law is to retreat the required distance. Applies more to adult football that under 10s granted, but under 10 or adult, the law is the same - retreat the required distance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame players for trying it on. I blame referees too dumb/soft to apply the LOTG properly which encourages this type of gamesmanship from players. Make of that what you will.

And also @HullRef no-one is saying or has said to send a kid off. My opinion and approach is that you can't be afraid to use your cards because of their age. At such a young age, they are getting to know the laws. I used to coach kids and respecting the permitted distance is a day one, week one drill. They know better than to disregard what a referee has to say. Education is key here. But, some youngsters forget all that when they get on the field. Education.
Unfortunately in my experience this tends to be down to the manager - some I have had this season have been really good, so their team are respectful as well. However, some managers have not been so good, and as a result their team tend to try it on more.
My last U12 game before Christmas was a league match between two teams from the same club. The Colts team (reserves) were brilliant and accepted everything I said, as did their manager. The first team not so much. I had to speak to two players who stood on the ball, and then moaned "how far!" when I walked them back - I'm 6'5", and always give a pretty accurate estimate of 9.15m, but teams of all ages always think I'm moving them too far and moan to that effect.
I also had to warn the manager that if he opened his mouth again I'd have him removed. (At the time his team were losing 1 - 0. Once they drew level and then scored the winner then they were fine!)
The players also had the practise of standing still with a dappy look on their face and both arms outstretched down to a fine art. They soon stopped that once I'd announced that the next one to do so would be cautioned!
Before the game the first team manager asked if I'd be interested in refereeing their team on a regular basis. After the game he was obviously busy because he forgot to ask if I was available!
I find that if you tolerate this type of behaviour then you will find it becomes the norm. If you deal with it in some way - not necessarily a caution, a reprimand can have the same effect in youth football - then you can stop it happening.
As already mentioned, telling the manager that you find this unacceptable will probably work, because you have already said that you know the team and get on with the coach. Get him to do the work for you - it's in the team's interests, because another Referee may not give him the chance.

Back