A&H

Advice please - Racism accusation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Anti-PC-Hysteria Society membership was really just based on the OP
If there's more meat on the bone, I may have to end my subscription
Shame that some individuals automatically assume prejudice for no good reason; and then tarnish the reputation of normal folk

I'll just continue to read (and ref) what's in front of me instead of adding in "what if's" and "this could" and "that could". ;)

The Referee Store
No it isn't Paul.

You're inserting presumption into the scenario that has neither been said nor proven.

The OP hasn't mentioned the player suggesting the red card was brandished because he was black. Nor do we see any evidence that he proclaimed any racist behaviour on the part of the OP to anybody else after the match when they spoke.

The guy was dismissed for an OFFINABUS remark and then went and spoke to the referee afterwards with his chip on his shoulder.

There's no "damage to reputations" or anything else evident here. The place wasn't filled with spectators and the media weren't there either. :rolleyes:

Sure, if the guy appeals his card (on what grounds he possibly could defeats me though) then a further report done by the ref will go some way to explaining the intricacies of what took place but that's as complicated (or hysterical) as it needs to get.

It's not "big" at all. :cool:

'I gave a player a straight red for accusing me of being racist'. In what way would you read that other than the player saying he was sent off for the colour of his skin?

How would you react to being called a peadophile or homophobic on a football pitch? Would that all be 'PC gone mad' as well?

Peadophile, homophobic, racist......are all exceptional report material. They go above and beyond the accepted behaviour.

As referee, we are not deeming the player to be anything, merely advising the powers that be of the situation and its for them to do as they please/nothing/whatever they wish

The use of abusive/insulting/offensive language is a red card. Anything which goes outwith the norms (if there is such a thing) of abusive etc.....is needing escalated.

Same as a punch is violent conduct. Totally kicking the living dung out of someone, is above that, its "more than" just violent conduct.
being called a racist or whatever, is over and above the parameters of abusive/insulting etc...

'I gave a player a straight red for accusing me of being racist'. In what way would you read that other than the player saying he was sent off for the colour of his skin?

Eh?

Mate are you serious?

Read what you've written and think about it.

The player was sent off for "accusing the ref of racism". He's been sent off for what he said to the ref. He's not been sent off for saying "you're only sending me off cos I'm black" is he?

Rocket science it ain't. :wall:

The rest of your post is rather bizarre and also irrelevant.

Eh?

Mate are you serious?

Read what you've written and think about it.

The player was sent off for "accusing the ref of racism". He's been sent off for what he said to the ref. He's not been sent off for saying "you're only sending me off cos I'm black" is he?

Rocket science it ain't. :wall:

The rest of your post is rather bizarre and also irrelevant.

Why does the wording matter? In both your statements above, it's a player accusing a referee of racism. That's unacceptable.

Do that to your boss in work and HR will be banging on your door the following day.

Wait, are you in short saying, if a player accuses you of racism you are ok with it?

its worse than cheat ! At least cheat has some relation to the game itself whereas calling you racist is nothing to do with the decisions you are making !

if a player is calling a referee a cheat, its not the actual person they are having issue with, but, the referee,
if someone is calling you a racist, then, its the actual person, that is being labelled.
An actual identity is apportioned to the referee when called a racist and so on....its infinite times worse.
Being tagged as a racist and so on, is an actual act on your character, as opposed to being called a cheat which will be a players reflection on your performance as a referee.
You could, in theory, sue for slander over being called a racist and so on, whereas you would not be able to do so for being called a cheat on the the football pitch
So, one is far far worse than the other.......

Last edited:
Why does the wording matter? In both your statements above, it's a player accusing a referee of racism. That's unacceptable.

Do that to your boss in work and HR will be banging on your door the following day.

Nicely sideswiped there fella. ;):D

Nicely sideswiped there fella. ;):D

I haven't sideswiped anything, I've merely pointed out that your 2 examples are the same in context, a player calling a referee a racist. And you're perfectly happy with that for some strange reason.

Wait, are you in short saying, if a player accuses you of racism you are ok with it?

its worse than cheat ! At least cheat has some relation to the game itself whereas calling you racist is nothing to do with the decisions you are making !

if a player is calling a referee a cheat, its not the actual person they are having issue with, but, the referee,
if someone is calling you a racist, then, its the actual person, that is being labelled.
An actual identity is apportioned to the referee when called a racist and so on....its infinite times worse.
Being tagged as a racist and so on, is an actual act on your character, as opposed to being called a cheat which will be a players reflection on your performance as a referee.
You could, in theory, sue for slander over being called a racist and so on, whereas you would not be able to do so for being called a cheat on the the football pitch
So, one is far far worse than the other.......

Assume you're talking to me? :D

Like I said earlier, there's a lot of "ifs" and "coulds" in there mate.

I'm gonna climb down off the sensible fence and let you guys ride the hysteria bus from here on in. :p

Enjoy. ;)

I haven't sideswiped anything, I've merely pointed out that your 2 examples are the same in context, a player calling a referee a racist. And you're perfectly happy with that for some strange reason.

Not at all.

All I did was correct you when you went off on a tangent and claimed that the player said the referee only dismissed him because he was a racist. That's not what happened and nor is it what the OP (strangely quiet now :rolleyes: :D ) wrote.

Gnash your teeth and beat your brow all you like fella.

Laters ... :cool:

Not at all.

All I did was correct you when you went off on a tangent and claimed that the player said the referee only dismissed him because he was a racist. That's not what happened and nor is it what the OP (strangely quiet now :rolleyes::D ) wrote.

Gnash your teeth and beat your brow all you like fella.

Laters ... :cool:

You seem far too focused on why he was accused of being a racist. The reason is a complete non story. As I've mentioned in a post on the first page, I once got accused of it as well and it's a horrible experience, trying to referee a game of football and have somebody say that to you. It's not an insult at you as a referee, it's an insult at you as an individual. Extra ordinary report is completely the right thing to do

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47641064

So in short, had she broken an opponents legs, 2 game ban SFP?
Or, dived (cheated) to win her team a pk, very likely nothing
Make some noises at an opponent? Contract torn up and possibly career ended

Make some noises? The old sticks and stones argument. I wonder what the families of the 50 people who lost their lives due to racism in Christchurch feel about that? I Ialways wondered if that argument was created by those who had never been racially abused and wanted to trivialise it, by those who wanted to defend racism, or by the parent of racially abused children to protect their lives by stopping them from protesting.

Call it PC if you like bit it's much deeper that just some words being thrown out there. Very difficult to understand for those who have not been genuinely racially abused and don't understand how it feels.

As a referee if a player uses the C word at you, you send them off because you are offended and you expect a decent suspension. Because one of those words says you have no integrity and the other.... Well I don't know what it says but it is meant to offend you.

The 'noises' in OP questions one's humanity. Also of those of her family and most of her friends. Why do the organisation remove the culprit? Because it means the same to some people in that organisation.

I need not go through history on how the meaning behind those noises have been used to enslave millions of people and the lives lost because of it.

If you are linking a Sheff Utd player making noises (as factually that's what she did) to a extreme right wing terror act, your clearly out for attention, sadly am biting and giving you it.

Merely because as football expects, you also expect. So giving you what you desire. Attention

In the link I posted, the player does not even admit guilt. My point was being, a player who admits diving (cheating) gets a 1 game ban from FA and possibly no fine from their own club. Cheating. 1 game ban
Lunge in, bad tackle, SFP, your getting a red card, and a 2 game ban, and nothing from your club

deny making immature noises on the spur of the moment? Career ended.

Your post says as referee you are happier to be smacked in mush than called a **** **** **** , or whatever the local delicacy term is.
Maybe just me, but I will take the words all day long over a broken nose or worse

Last edited:
In the link I posted, the player does not even admit guilt. My point was being, a player who admits diving (cheating) gets a 1 game ban from FA and possibly no fine from their own club. Cheating. 1 game ban
Lunge in, bad tackle, SFP, your getting a red card, and a 2 game ban, and nothing from your club

deny making immature noises on the spur of the moment? Career ended.

Immature noises? She was FOUND GUILTY by the FA for making monkey noises at a black woman. How can that A) be compared to cheating or SFP, or B) even be defended? We don't know what happened behind closed doors in front of the panel investigating the issue so I can't believe there's even an argument to defend her or the punishment received.

The reason she was sacked was because the club didn't want to pay/employ somebody who racially abused somebody on a football pitch. The same as any other job and there should be no difference in football.

Last edited:
I’ve a Gambian son in law, he’s a lovely genuine fellow, he’s jokingly called me a honky, I’ll not say what I called him but it wasn’t the N word and no one was offended. I agree that there is a mass hysteria about something that’s is very rare these days said nastily. Geez back in my school days it was the norm!

Immature noises? She was FOUND GUILTY by the FA for making monkey noises at a black woman. How can that A) be compared to cheating or SFP, or B) even be defended? We don't know what happened behind closed doors in front of the panel investigating the issue so I can't believe there's even an argument to defend her or the punishment received.

The reason she was sacked was because the club didn't want to pay/employ somebody who racially abused somebody on a football pitch. The same as any other job and there should be no difference in football.

But they happy to employ cheats, i.e the West Brom guy who admitted diving
Why? Because he got his team a point
Which equals...£££££££££
Whereas this player, who I confess I have never heard of, would cost ££££ if sponsor pulled out

Chelsea were happy to pay Terry 250 grand a week, why?
Cos he was a winner for them.

She might well have been found guilty by FA but she denies it .

Last edited:
But they happy to employ cheats, i.e the West Brom guy who admitted diving
Why? Because he got his team a point
Which equals...£££££££££
Whereas this player, who I confess I have never heard of, would cost ££££ if sponsor pulled out

She might well have been found guilty by FA but she denies it .
Who cares if she denies it? Adam Johnson pleaded not guilty in court as well but nobody is crying about him being in prison

Cheating is not a criminal offence and is dealt with within the LOTG. Racism is a criminal offence.

I’ve a Gambian son in law, he’s a lovely genuine fellow, he’s jokingly called me a honky, I’ll not say what I called him but it wasn’t the N word and no one was offended. I agree that there is a mass hysteria about something that’s is very rare these days said nastily. Geez back in my school days it was the norm!

This is the sort of attitude which prevents racism leaving the game. Stop all this 'back in my day' b******s ... either keep up with the world or just stop giving an opinion because quite frankly, it's invalid. This isn't the 60's anymore, you can't call people what you like and think it's OK but you joke around about it with a family member. This isn't two friends having a laugh on a football pitch, it's an individual being racially abused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back