A&H

Advice on whistling manner?

Shepard14

Well, sometimes on my matches (unofficial ones, I referee street football and I have a very good reputation as the "Book", just like Clive Thomas!) when I blow my whistle for a valid reason to stop the play, the players do not respond. I have to blow my whistle 5 times for a throw-in as example. When I approached a player, he said that I do not blow the whistle hard enough. For me, it seems like I blow it hard.. Do I need to blow it very hard like in a real football match? The kind of blowing that literally kills your ears? I need some advice on how to whistle hard enough, or even how to attract their attention.

The Referee Store
Press the tip of your tongue against the mouth of the whistle, blow very hard and move your tongue out of the way. Practice as much as you can. It's not just about being heard but about being heard and believed.

Also, practice two different tones - I have a 'standard blow' and an 'angry blow' - which I use when I need to get on top of the game a bit more, or for a bad foul that's gonna get a card.

I was advised by one of our mentors, that a blind man should know what you are going to do by the tone of your whistle!

If it is not your fitness (being unable to blow loudly while running) look at your whistle. I am a big fan ofthe sonik blast whistle. They are awesome an nobody will miss it, even in crazy wind situations (although that is in OA games, would not break him out for youth matches). Just be careful not to blow it too close to players. Honestly, first time I blew it my ears were ringing afterwards

After assessor advice I now have 5 whistles:

1) standard blast for normal fouls etc

2) the longer, harder everybody stop what your doing right now whistle saved for bad challenges etc when I want everyone to freeze like rabbits in head lights

3) little peep for very minor things like a very clear minor foul where everyone is already aware it is a minor foul

4) the triple quick blow mostly saved for "you're taking that from the wrong place" situations

5) the that's it, game over flourish! Throw in exaggerated arm gestures just for fun!!!

The only other thing to consider is the players are taking the... erm liberties. Because they are players and that is what they do :)

Back