A&H

Advice on some obscure match incidents

Harey

Hi,

Only on about game 10 as a new referee, and had a number of more obscure events in a U16 game yesterday. I was hoping if you could confirm or advise if I got them right from some more experienced refs:
  1. Player fairly tackles another player, but loses boot in the process. Team mates screaming at me to stop the game, so he can put his boot back on. I wave to play on, as he wasn't injured. Correct or not?
  2. Player dives in two footed, but misses player, as he jumps to avoid, but loses balance and the ball. I blow for a direct free kick? The rules seem to indicate a indirect for non-contact?
  3. Goalkeeper drop kicks ball outside the area. I blow for free kick. Too harsh?
  4. Less obscure, but player clatters into another, but gets ball. I blow for the careless challenge. Parent screaming at me as he got the ball. I didn't think getting the ball mattered, if it's careless?
Cheers
Chris

The Referee Store
1) Correct play on.

2) Second part correct, in-direct.

3) Its in the laws but nothing I’d be pulling up on unless really obvious.

4) Getting the ball is not mentioned at all anywhere in the LOTG

1) A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play, so play on within reason
2) Sounds like Serious Foul Play - Direct Free Kick and Dismissal
3) Warn first, penalise second
4) Agree with @spuddy1878

1. Agree

2. Depends. You could consider it playing in a dangerous manner, which would be an indirect. But you could also consider it either (1) an attempt to kick or trip or (2) a careless tackle/challenge. Those are direct FK fouls. the greater the force, the more likely I would be to go with one of the direct free kick offenses. The more it was spastic/clumsy, the more likely I'd go IFK. Also the younger the players the more likely I'd go with IFK. Have to see it to know if it reaches Serious Foul Play. (Side note:The offense that creates the DFK would be one of the fouls I listed above that is the foul in SFP.)

3. Depends. Dropping the ball outside and then kicking it is not an offense at all, though it wrongly gets called sometimes. The offense is if the GK is still touching the ball when the whole ball passes completely over the PA line into the rest of the fields. (As long as a smidgen of the ball is over the last smidgen of the line when the GK let's go, no offense has occurred.) GKs routinely release the ball behind or over the line but then kick it a yard or more outside the PA. As far as calling it, unless it is really blatant, I would always warn before calling. And you have to be really sure before calling this. Most times I've seen this called have either been wrong or the GK has completely forgot to look down and took more than a step outside before releasing the ball.

4. Not getting the ball is often a clue the challenge was careless. But as said above, getting the ball is never a license for making a careless challenge. If in you opinion it was careless, you are 100% right to make the call and the fact he got the ball is wholly irrelevant.

Agree with most of the above. The only thing I'd add that is in number 1, you are right to play on - but as soon as the ball goes out of play or play is stopped for any other reason, you should then be delaying the restart until the player has corrected his equipment. Even if it seems like he has, it might be worth taking a second to make sure that he's definitely got it sorted and it's not going to fall off again next time he makes a tackle.

A player whose footwear or shinguard is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play
Another obviously badly worded law. If the ball goes out of play immediately (or within a few seconds) after a player losses his/her footwear, it is literally impossible to replace it within that time. What it should say is "... and no later than the next restart."

Agree with most of the above. The only thing I'd add that is in number 1, you are right to play on - but as soon as the ball goes out of play or play is stopped for any other reason, you should then be delaying the restart until the player has corrected his equipment. Even if it seems like he has, it might be worth taking a second to make sure that he's definitely got it sorted and it's not going to fall off again next time he makes a tackle.

Agree with making sure it is sorted. Had a player lose a boot on Sunday, played on until it went out for a throw in. Waited for him to sort out the boot. He looked gobsmacked when I also told him to do up his laces on his right boot while he was at it as well.

Thanks - I did highlight to the team complaining, they should put the ball out, and he would get the opportunity to sort his footware out

Hi,

Only on about game 10 as a new referee, and had a number of more obscure events in a U16 game yesterday. I was hoping if you could confirm or advise if I got them right from some more experienced refs:
  1. Player fairly tackles another player, but loses boot in the process. Team mates screaming at me to stop the game, so he can put his boot back on. I wave to play on, as he wasn't injured. Correct or not?
  2. Player dives in two footed, but misses player, as he jumps to avoid, but loses balance and the ball. I blow for a direct free kick? The rules seem to indicate a indirect for non-contact?
  3. Goalkeeper drop kicks ball outside the area. I blow for free kick. Too harsh?
  4. Less obscure, but player clatters into another, but gets ball. I blow for the careless challenge. Parent screaming at me as he got the ball. I didn't think getting the ball mattered, if it's careless?
Cheers
Chris

Nothing in the laws about there having to be contact in order for the FK to be direct. Nothing at all. If it's a careless dive/lunge whatever then it's a direct FK.

My usual usual response to players is something along the lines of, 'your focus is the ball, my priority is player safety... and that was <careless|reckless|dangerous>

Back