A&H

Open Age Advice on accepting a fixture.

SionTHFC

Hi guys,
I received my fixtures for December today and was very surprised to see I was given a middle, bearing in mind this is my first ever season and I've been an assistant since the start of the season.

Although I'm quite happy that I've been considered to do a middle I don't personally think I'm ready or experienced enough to do it. This being my first ever season at the age of 18, I've only done two U14 games so far, both of which were easy games to ref because of high goal margins. (6-1, 5-0) . The game I have been given is a cup game second leg without any assistance. I've never even given a yellow/red card yet haha!

So do you think I should accept the game, or explain to the appointment officer that I appreciate the appointment don't feel I'm experienced enough to do it?
Cheers.

The Referee Store
Do it. That's how you gain experience. The refs secs won't give you a game they don't think you can handle.

Speaking personally when I started I was put on basement division duty. After first 3 games I had good marks and got put into games 3 or 4 divisions higher (this is open age though) and I became a better referee because I was thrown into the "harder" games and had to deal with it.

I also wouldn't want to 'reject' an appointment as it will stick in the minds of those who decide ..

Always accept appointments and remember you are the sole person responsible for the starting and stopping of the game, so you are in control.

I would say 100% do it. You will be a better ref by doing these games.

Its like as a player. You will only improve if you are playing with people better than yourself. Refereeing is the same

Reactions: SM
I've never run the line. Ive always just been thrown in the middle straight away. In my opinion you'd gain as much experience watching football in sky sports as you would running the line. Your watching others and taking notes from that. But nothing will compete will being the guy in the middle and finding your own style of match management. I say take it and you'll learn more in that one game than a whole season of up running the line.

Twke the game and I bet you'll enjoy it. Plus once you get those first yellow and reds out the way it's like getting a monkey off your back. One less thing to think about! Not that I'm encouraging you just to whip the cards out for no reason of course.

Back