A&H

Advice for first-time buzzer/beeper flag user (please)?

Ref X

RefChat Addict
Grassroots Referee
I'm using buzzer/beeper flags as an AR for the first time in ~6 hours.

Any good general advice?

I've read through this thread and found some good ideas. Just thought I'd ask folks directly here.

A fairly comprehensive pre-game here. I know all referees are different but it's a good start.

So in general, I want a buzz for all offsides, any tight ball in/out, all free kicks and subs, generally I want these with the signal. Only time I wouldn’t want a flag for offside just a buzz is potential keeper interference, where there’s an offside player (AR info) and I can help with telling if they’re interfering. In that one I want a buzz and a gesture over. With tight goals, I want a goal signal by the assistant, then to be buzzed when he has had the flag up so that when I give it, he’s bang in position and no-one can dispute it. On free-kicks where the assistant wants a sanction I want to be buzzed after the free-kick so they can call me across, if they’re buzzing like **** I know it’s likely to be a higher sanction, as you should guess from the severity of the signal, if they look like they could land a plane then I know that and a buzz could mean trouble. Off the ball sometimes I want a buzz and a flag, if it’s again sanctionable, if it’s just people pushing and shoving I just want a buzz so I’m looking the right way.

The Referee Store
I'm using buzzer/beeper flags as an AR for the first time in ~6 hours.

Any good general advice?

I've read through this thread and found some good ideas. Just thought I'd ask folks directly here.

A fairly comprehensive pre-game here. I know all referees are different but it's a good start.

So in general, I want a buzz for all offsides, any tight ball in/out, all free kicks and subs, generally I want these with the signal. Only time I wouldn’t want a flag for offside just a buzz is potential keeper interference, where there’s an offside player (AR info) and I can help with telling if they’re interfering. In that one I want a buzz and a gesture over. With tight goals, I want a goal signal by the assistant, then to be buzzed when he has had the flag up so that when I give it, he’s bang in position and no-one can dispute it. On free-kicks where the assistant wants a sanction I want to be buzzed after the free-kick so they can call me across, if they’re buzzing like **** I know it’s likely to be a higher sanction, as you should guess from the severity of the signal, if they look like they could land a plane then I know that and a buzz could mean trouble. Off the ball sometimes I want a buzz and a flag, if it’s again sanctionable, if it’s just people pushing and shoving I just want a buzz so I’m looking the right way.
Each referee has their own take on what is required, so make sure they spell out pre-match when they expect only a flag, and when they expect a flag and a buzz.

Back