A&H

Advice for a new referee

Jay99

I've just qualified to become a referee and I'm about to referee my first game in a few weeks. But I'm so nervous and unsure about so many things. Mainly pre match routine and just general things I should say to players to make myself come across as confident. Literally any help would be much appreciated.

The Referee Store
I've just qualified to become a referee and I'm about to referee my first game in a few weeks. But I'm so nervous and unsure about so many things. Mainly pre match routine and just general things I should say to players to make myself come across as confident. Literally any help would be much appreciated.
Advice to a complete beginner would be very basic
1) Make a checklist of things you need to do before KO; pitch check (FOP, nets & corner flags etc), equipment checks, instructions for Club Assistants etc.
Otherwise the game will KO and you'll feel nervous that you've forgotten something
2) Turn up ~ 45 mins before KO. Look like a referee... presentable kit and clean black boots
3) Introduce yourself to both teams. Learn the names of the Team Officials (note them down). Exchange pleasantries about how their season is going etc.
4) During the game, don't hesitate to act on verbals. Publicly inform the captains of players who are pushing their luck with low level dissent. Caution immediately for any clear act of dissent (sin bin). Be expectant of inevitable mistakes; that way you won't be surprised or panicked when they happen

Welcome to the dark side.

Your whistling is a sign of how confident you are. A feeble whistle is a sign of a week referee. Your first chance is at kick off. Blow it hard and with confidence. Back yourself on every decision without showing arrogance. You will make mistakes. Don't dwell on them. Enjoy and let us know how you go.

Make sure you are familiar with basic procedures like duration of the match and, if it is a cup tie, what is to happen in the event of a draw. As for the match itself I always say concentrate, concentrate and then concentrate some more.

What age group(s) are you reffing?
I'm just doing juniors to begin with. So should be nice and easy. Was wondering if it's the same as adult football. Like what's different? I've never worked with kids before. At the coin toss shall I still talk to them like they're adults? Feel a bit stupid asking these questions haha

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully not too bad haha!

I'm just doing juniors to begin with. So should be nice and easy. Was wondering if it's the same as adult football. Like what's different? I've never worked with kids before. At the coin toss shall I still talk to them like they're adults? Feel a bit stupid asking these questions haha

Hey! I'm doing U14s-U8s at the moment, I speak to them like adults, just a bit simpler language so they can understand, especially at the coin toss, however by U13 I would say you can speak to them like an OA game. Instead of signalling I verbalise everything so it's a bit easier for them to understand what is happening, but still give a stern talking too if there's a foul. (for U8s to U12s)

Hey! I'm doing U14s-U8s at the moment, I speak to them like adults, just a bit simpler language so they can understand, especially at the coin toss, however by U13 I would say you can speak to them like an OA game. Instead of signalling I verbalise everything so it's a bit easier for them to understand what is happening, but still give a stern talking too if there's a foul. (for U8s to U12s)

Perhaps this is what you meant, but I'd strongly suggest any verbalization be along with signalling. That way the players are learning the signals (wand we as referees don't get into bad habits about not signalling).

For @Jay99 , I'd echo what @one said about whistling--the more confident you sound/look, the more people will assume you know what you are doing. To that end, I'd even suggest practicing whistling--the simple twee, the hard I don't like that! whistle, the peep-peep to get attention to tell someone where the throw in is. And along the same lines, silly though it may sound, go do signals in front of a mirror so you see what you look like--straight arms and confidence are your goals.

Perhaps this is what you meant, but I'd strongly suggest any verbalization be along with signalling. That way the players are learning the signals (wand we as referees don't get into bad habits about not signalling).

For @Jay99 , I'd echo what @one said about whistling--the more confident you sound/look, the more people will assume you know what you are doing. To that end, I'd even suggest practicing whistling--the simple twee, the hard I don't like that! whistle, the peep-peep to get attention to tell someone where the throw in is. And along the same lines, silly though it may sound, go do signals in front of a mirror so you see what you look like--straight arms and confidence are your goals.

Sorry haha was typing in a rush. Yes I signal along with verbalisation to aid in teaching them what the different signals mean! ☺️

remember you can use your cards at youth level. I am normally last weeks ref in youth football as I use cards and reckon I have given more first cards to players in my area than most other youth refs.

Thankyou everyone! Great advice. Will try to do all the things mentioned when I do my first game.

Something I noticed whilst watching a young ref doing a senior match for the first time (my game had finished and I watched the first 20 mins of the next game as I'd met this young ref a few times on development nights and lined with him before. He's never done much senior footy and one thing he was doing which stood out to me was he was being very picky about foul throws and the exact place that a free kick should be taken, even in the teams defensive half.

In adult football, it's not expected that the referee is to be so anal about such things. Unless it's an outrageousmy obvious foul throw, don't go looking to penalise. The opposition will still appeal if its a bit iffy, but it's in hope not expectation. Don't let teams take the mick but don't worry about being over picky about free kick positions, unless it's within shooting distance.

The key thing in adult football is your communication. You need to learn when to be strong with your voice and your whistle, and when to be more relaxed. It's as much about social skills as it is about anything else. Don't go looking for issues, but know when to deal with them in the appropriate manner. You'll learn as you go. If you think that teams are taking advantage of you then they probably are and you need to be stronger.

Good luck and enjoy

Unless it's an outrageousmy obvious foul throw, don't go looking to penalise. The opposition will still appeal if its a bit iffy, but it's in hope not expectation. Don't let teams take the mick but don't worry about being over picky about free kick positions, unless it's within shooting distance.

IMHO, this is good advice at any level of play . . .

Another thing I've noticed when it comes to working with younger refs who are on the promotion scheme is their communication and admin can be lax. Not turning up to professional academies has happened on 2 of the 4 occasions I've done academy lines this year. The referees simply hadn't responded to emails or had forgotten about the appointment which they'd been given a month previous.

When you send someone to the sin bin do you have to keep the track of the time yourself and wave them back on? Or does someone else keep track of time for you?

When you send someone to the sin bin do you have to keep the track of the time yourself and wave them back on? Or does someone else keep track of time for you?
Unless you have a 4th official, you'll have to do it yourself I'm afraid.

Back