A&H

Advantage

micky2001

I'm not sure if I've made a boo boo in a charity match and hopefully you can help. This decision wouldn't have changed the end outcome as the team who felt aggrieved won.

Anyway, long ball is played from half way line by a blue defender to his attacker who is just outside the 18 yard line. Green defender misjudged the flight so turns around and chests the ball and then proceeds to handball (I would have deemed the HB to be a DFK offence). From the HB, the Ball fortuitously however falls just to the right and in front in front of blue attacher who in my opinion is one on one with keeper in the box. I shout and signal advantage but blue player stops and turns to me and shouts "Handball" and I say "no, we're playing advantage". Whilst he stops and turns round, green keeper clears the ball.

I say they had advantage but failed to use it. Happy for your opinions of you feel I should have brought it back etc.

The Referee Store
I was always taught (and I always taught my players when I was a coach) to play to the whistle. If you didn't blow for a free kick - and more especially since you signalled the advantage, the player should have kept going. You also mentioned that it came off the player's chest onto his arm so even though you say you would have considered it to be deliberate, another ref might not have done so the player should not assume there would be a handling offence anyway.

I agree with you, they had the advantage but squandered it.

Yep, I'm with Peter and the OP on this - this isn't the NFL, it's not up to players to accept or not accept advantage. If the advantage doesn't come off because the attacking player miscontrols it, or stretches and can't reach it, there's an argument for coming back, but not if he clearly made a concious decision not to go for it, that's your decision.

@micky2001 - the use of advantage is to create an "enhanced attacking opportunity" over the awarding of the free-kick. Did Blue have this ?

If so, you were correct to apply advantage; if not, then you were wrong. Only you can decide.

I agree with @lincs22 on this but i would also add that you have to decide 'for the attackers'. If ever the attackers want the free kick and not the advantage (at the time of the foul and not after stuffing it up) then there is a high chance you shouldn't have played advantage.

While the OP sounds as an ideal situation for playing advantage, it begs the question why would a player prefer a DFK over a one on one with the keeper?

I agree with @lincs22 on this but i would also add that you have to decide 'for the attackers'. If ever the attackers want the free kick and not the advantage (at the time of the foul and not after stuffing it up) then there is a high chance you shouldn't have played advantage.

While the OP sounds as an ideal situation for playing advantage, it begs the question why would a player prefer a DFK over a one on one with the keeper?
A player at the position of the challenge does not have the wider view of the opportunities available. A player would want a DFK as he has more control over the situation and isn't rushed.

I had a similar situation today. player goes past last defender who makes an attempt at (and probably did) foul the attacker. the attacker, as he gets past defender, then stops and shouts for a free kick although in my view he was through and 1on1 with the keeper. I didnt give it and basically said I decide when its a foul not you.. also had it been a foul I was in dogso territory which would have been incredibly harsh - seeing as it was more an attempt than an outright foul and there was an opportunity for the attacker to continue. I think if i had blown for the foul i could have got away with dogso on a kind of technicality.

Echoing others here - the player doesn't get to stand there and tell you what to do. He had the advantage, chose not to take it.

Back