A&H

Advantage question

HoofItYouDonkey

RefChat Addict
Level 6 Referee
Defender commits a foul on an attacker in the box (not DOGSO) but the ball runs to an attacker who is through one-on-one with the keeper, do you:=
  1. Play advantage and run the risk of the attacker not scoring?
  2. Blow for a penalty?

The Referee Store
Why would you give the penalty if the attacker misses? The advantage is allowing him to take the shot, if he's not good enough to be able to take the advantage that's not my fault.

I'm still double checking that the first challenge was acually a foul in which case I'll give the decisi.........

Hold on, he's scored!That sorts that then / he's missed, yeah def foul so Pen it is.

"Ref that's a late blow" - "just double checking".

Why would you give the penalty if the attacker misses? The advantage is allowing him to take the shot, if he's not good enough to be able to take the advantage that's not my fault.
It is not advantage until the referee signals it!
So if no call and he misses - there was no advantage played. Penalty given. Simple really!!

play 'advantage' if misses, give the PK ... I say that because if its all in the area then I have no doubt the ball has got to the attacker and he has shot within seconds - you could argue that he had no advantage as he snatched at the shot?

who cares! im the ref! shut it or get your marching orders! haha

As it's not DOGSO and the striker gets the ball and has clear control of the ball, play on and if he misses GK. If the striker didn't have possession or in 100% in control of the ball PK all day.

If you play on with or without signal and the striker misses and then award the PK the other team is going to think you're picking sides and that's not good.

Wow at some of these responses.
I must have missed the update in the LOTG that said 'referees should always give attackers 2 bites at the cherry'.

For what it's worth if it's in the penalty area and it's a foul i'm blowing for a penalty all day, no matter where the ball ends up after the foul.

If the team getting the penalty then moan i didn't play advantage i'll take that on the chin rather than having a team moan that the opposition are getting two bites of the cherry

For what it's worth if it's in the penalty area and it's a foul i'm blowing for a penalty all day, no matter where the ball ends up after the foul.

If the team getting the penalty then moan i didn't play advantage i'll take that on the chin rather than having a team moan that the opposition are getting two bites of the cherry

You will be in a difficult position if they score a goal and miss a penalty.

I can't see the issue with letting it go for a second, then giving a penalty if they miss the shot.

I can't see the issue with letting it go for a second, then giving a penalty if they miss the shot.
Because it's unfair on the defending team? You're giving the other team two chances to score, as well as sending the GK off.

This is a non DOGSO scenario from OP.
Oops!

If it's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity, why even wait to see what the attacker does? Waiting just opens yourself up to accusations to allowing them two bites of the cherry. By playing advantage/waiting to see the outcome of the shot you are saying that the attacking team will benefit more from playing on than calling the foul. To then bring it back once they've ****ed it up would be an undeserved benefit to the attacking team, and an unjust punishment to the defending team.

Oops!

If it's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity, why even wait to see what the attacker does? Waiting just opens yourself up to accusations to allowing them two bites of the cherry. By playing advantage/waiting to see the outcome of the shot you are saying that the attacking team will benefit more from playing on than calling the foul. To then bring it back once they've ****ed it up would be an undeserved benefit to the attacking team, and an unjust punishment to the defending team.

We're talking a second maybe two max. If the ball falls straight to another striker with a shooting opportunity I will play on and see if he scores. Unjust on the defending team? I don't think so personally. I personally think the clubs and players will be appreciative of it, you just hae to be strong. No one can argue that it wasn't a foul if you bring it back for the penalty.

How is it not unjust? You're awarding the attacking team a penalty kick purely because he didn't score when he had a chance just as good as they did before the foul.

Wait a second and award the penalty if it is not virtually an open goal as every other scenario means a penalty is their best chance of scoring.

Wow at some of these responses.
I must have missed the update in the LOTG that said 'referees should always give attackers 2 bites at the cherry'.
It's next to the bit which says they're allowed to abuse you if they miss with those two bites.

Back