A&H

Advantage or free kick

Declan

Level 5 Referee
Had an interesting scenario last Sunday. Game delicately balanced at 2-2. Yellow player breaking towards box. Blue skipper trips Yellow player in D, but as covering defenders not DOGSO. Ball breaks into area to team mate with clear shot at goal. I play advantage with big loud shout and arms out. Yellow shoots poorly straight at keeper and Blues break quickly and scores.

After booking the blue defender Yellows started complaining that I should have given the free kick. Whilst I feel completely correct is there a standard or level of play where a free kick is 'more appropriate '?

The Referee Store
Sounds like a good advantage, in the green zone, if it fell kindly and the shot let them down. After having the shot you can't bring it back, that was the advantage. If you blew your whistle and they'd scored just after your name would of been mud.

It's just unfortunate that they went up the other end, but they have taken the ball 100 yards and gone past 9 players in doing so!

Yes thoughts exactly. But again, Is there a level of ability that an advantage is inappropriate?

How long exactly was there between the foul and the ball rolling to the other attacker?

In reality from sunday league to prem unless its a clear goal scoring advantage then teams prefer the FK.

What do they practice in training and before games?.... Direct Free kicks at goal.

You did well. If, on the other hand, the ball was coming across at a really difficult angle and he's not really expected to control it, but he may fluke it then you're not applying advantage, you're 'waiting and seeing'. As you say, it fell at his feet, he wasn't still being disadvantaged by the foul, so he's taken the advantage. So you've done the right thing, in law and in spirit.

Consider the position of the defenders though, especially if the first player was relatively open but the second player was closed down by defenders/keepers. If so then he's still being affected by the foul.

Advantage has a mixed meaning to me.

We all know the intended meaning, but to me the reality is the attacking team will use the decision you make either way against you if they don't score.

To their 'advantage' if you will. :D

I also have another theory that a good advantage goes unnoticed. By players anyway.

Sounds like a good advantage and good decision to me.

Also sounds like the footballing gods were particularly harsh on you today!

Sounds like a good advantage, in the green zone, if it fell kindly and the shot let them down. After having the shot you can't bring it back, that was the advantage. If you blew your whistle and they'd scored just after your name would of been mud.
You can if the foul is in the penalty area :D:D:D:D:D

This is a situation you can never win. Give the free kick and the striker inevitably puts the ball in the net, play advantage and the stiker makes an a@#e of it and it's still your fault ~ we've all been there.

Back