A&H

Advantage in Penalty Area

I am also giving two bites at the cherry to a midfielder to pick out a pass when he loses possession within a few seconds of a foul in the midfield. The defenders committed the foul, they have no right to be upset that I am punishing it.
My advice, for you to take or leave as you please, is to avoid the 'two bites' approach. Whilst it's how it (successfully IMO) works in rugby, it's not how the football advantage clause is constructed.. Using your above midfield example, generally we're expected to differentiate between a misplaced pass that happens as a result of the foul and one which is simply down to poor play by the atacking team- The overall punishment for the defending team is either the FK or play continuing if this is truly advantageous to the other team. Not both. .

The Referee Store
If it is taking forever to complete just blow for the foul. If it takes him more than a few seconds to get set for the shot, there is no advantage there.
It was unusual in that he'd already taken the shot, it just seemed to take an age to reach the goal line, then hit the inside of the post and bounced out.

Look at this way....

Does the advantage give them an enhanced attacking opportunity more than a penalty?

You also have the choice if you award the penalty of cautioning, but not if you allow the goal.

Last edited:
I was always taught that there is no greater advantage than a penalty. It is almost a free goal to be honest.

If you've waited 3 seconds, then I'd be tempted to blow up and simply fib "sorry gents, dropped my whistle."

Players don't get a free chance to make a foul in the box if the attacker is going to shoot afterwards.

Being pedantic...but penalties 'only' result in goals appx 80% of the time, so it's definitely not a freeor guaranteed goal.
Double 'Like'. I think there is scope for advantage following a penalty award, but i'm 20% confident of nailing it :sorry:

Last edited:
From Norway Spain.

https://streamable.com/fbwml

Sure looks like a slow whistle, and without a goal giving the PK.
That's exactly what it is. And I don't think it's done him any favours. We'll obviously never know what the player reaction would have been had he blown straight away ... but my instinct is that it would have been less aggravated then we saw in real life.

Clearly a penalty and, for me, not a clear enough "advantage" / 99% chance to score a goal, to justify delaying the whistle like that.

For me it's more about fairness, did that foul justify giving the attacking team two chances at scoring a goal? My answer is no.

That's exactly what it is. And I don't think it's done him any favours. We'll obviously never know what the player reaction would have been had he blown straight away ... but my instinct is that it would have been less aggravated then we saw in real life.

Clearly a penalty and, for me, not a clear enough "advantage" / 99% chance to score a goal, to justify delaying the whistle like that.

I think we have a blatant lack of broadly distributed clear instruction on this issue. (As I posted before, this used to be the clear USSF instruction, but as far as I can tell there is currently no instruction at all.) But the clip certainly suggests that the instructions being given at that level are the patient whistle and keep the PK. Whatever the powers that be want, it sure would be nice if there were clear instructions, not just so we know, but so we can have consistency and we can explain that it is the proper standard.

Interesting you say that. I don't know if you were able to listen to the clip with sound on, but the commentators thought he'd absolutely nailed his handling of that situation? I agree that the chance was always going to be a tricky one, but with top-level players, I think you can argue the odds were high enough that it was worth seeing. The one thing we really don't want to be doing is blowing our whistle as the ball flies into the back of the net!

Also, slight side note. At the very end of the clip, the keeper (who'd just been booked) gave MO an "angry tap" on the back and then, having got his attention, immediately looked down and started digging up the penalty spot. Would have been fun to see a second yellow for either of those offenses at that point in the match!

Interesting you say that. I don't know if you were able to listen to the clip with sound on, but the commentators thought he'd absolutely nailed his handling of that situation? I agree that the chance was always going to be a tricky one, but with top-level players, I think you can argue the odds were high enough that it was worth seeing. The one thing we really don't want to be doing is blowing our whistle as the ball flies into the back of the net!

Also, slight side note. At the very end of the clip, the keeper (who'd just been booked) gave MO an "angry tap" on the back and then, having got his attention, immediately looked down and started digging up the penalty spot. Would have been fun to see a second yellow for either of those offenses at that point in the match!
Certainly don't want to blow whistle as the player is shooting. We can agree on that! However, IMO there was enough time to blow the whistle before the shot in this instance. Given that the shot was less of an OGSO than a penalty, the only 'advantage' in this situation is if you're prepared to give two bites at the cherry .... and for me this is unfairly disadvantaging the defending side

Totally agree about the two further GK infringements!!

Done something similar myself foul just inside the area teammate picked the ball up took it round the keeper then put it wide while facing an open net . He immediately asked for a penalty because there was no advantage , I didn’t give the penalty but the Match was 7-0 at that point so didn’t make a difference to try outcome of the match but easily could of been different

Not exactly. The striker has a free shot and misses, you give a pen and that won't be normal. You'd be the villain and be surrounded by the defender's telling you you are giving the striker two bites at the cherry and they'd be right.

Had a similar scenario today on the edge of the box, trip for a FK but the attacker in possession managed to stay on his feet, I played advantage, and he got a shot away- unbalanced.

I then decided to pull it back as he didn’t have the best body shape to carry out a decent shot as a result of the foul, ultimately no advantage IMO.

Of course the defending team weren’t best pleased but most of them accepted it once I explained.

Anything around the box I’m blowing for from now on unless they’re through on goal. Safer bet.

Be grateful if anyone’s got feedback on whether or not I was correct to pull it back?

Had a similar scenario today on the edge of the box, trip for a FK but the attacker in possession managed to stay on his feet, I played advantage, and he got a shot away- unbalanced.

I then decided to pull it back as he didn’t have the best body shape to carry out a decent shot as a result of the foul, ultimately no advantage IMO.

Of course the defending team weren’t best pleased but most of them accepted it once I explained.

Anything around the box I’m blowing for from now on unless they’re through on goal. Safer bet.

Be grateful if anyone’s got feedback on whether or not I was correct to pull it back?
If he was unbalanced because of the foul, then there is in effect no advantage. Outside of the area you can often get away with a pause before deciding, but in the area, it's better to hit the whistle quickly

The way we are taught this and I think at higher levels in England, is to wait an see if advantage eventuates rather than 'playing advantage' immediately. You have a few seconds for this. That way you don't have to go back on a decision you have already made.

Edit: I must add, in the penalty area, I'd wait much shorter and make a decision one way or other (almost always a pen) and won't go back on it.

Last edited:
The way we are taught this and I think at higher levels in England, is to wait an see if advantage eventuates rather than 'playing advantage' immediately. You have a few seconds for this. That way you don't have to go back on a decision you have already made.
Yea this is good advice and what I always do. You can't play advantage unless you know an advantage has developed, so you need to wait for a few seconds to see what happens before blowing for a FK or playing the advantage. However in the PA, this would be a very short time and mostly unlikely. Although penalties are not guaranteed goals, the conversion percentage is much higher than shots on goal. So unless you can see the ball going to an attacker who has an open goal / shot just a few yards out, I would just blow for the penalty.

This is something I'm trying to get my head around. I had a game this morning and twice I played advantage in the Penalty area as I felt that there was a better chance to score, both situations the attacking team fluffed their shots. Nobody overly contested either one mainly as the home side won quite easy.

I'm thinking that it's best to just give the Penalty. If they miss then they miss, that way they can't be aggrieved about " we should have had 2 clear penalties" if they went on to lose

Back