A&H

Advantage in Goal Scoring Opportunities

JH

RefChat Addict
Scenario: The goalkeeper brings down a striker 1 on 1 in the penalty area, advantage is played as another attacker now has an open goal. The other attacker somehow misses.

What action is taken? Can the penalty be given, as advantage is the opportunity, not the outcome...

The Referee Store
Scenario: The goalkeeper brings down a striker 1 on 1 in the penalty area, advantage is played as another attacker now has an open goal. The other attacker somehow misses.

What action is taken? Can the penalty be given, as advantage is the opportunity, not the outcome...

No penalty, the attacking potential was enhanced. So restart with Goal kick and dont forgot the caution for the goalkeeper.

No penalty, the attacking potential was enhanced. So restart with Goal kick and dont forgot the caution for the goalkeeper.

you've assessed me in this exact situation! except the striker scored, thankfully (though in all seriousness he couldn't miss!)

Wouldn't it be a red card as the goal scoring opportunity didn't result in a goal?

Wouldn't it be a red card as the goal scoring opportunity didn't result in a goal?
No. Because the red card is for denying the opportunity to score a goal, not preventing one. In this case the attacking team still had a goal scoring opportunity which they missed.
Additionally it wouldnt automatically be a red card anyway if it happened in the penalty area if it was a genuine attempt to win the ball by the GK.

No penalty, the attacking potential was enhanced.

Can you explain more please or cite the guideline?

Surely you wait a couple of seconds to see if the advantage accrues - anywhere else on the field, if the next pass goes astray, within a couple of seconds you bring it back before signalling advantage - why is it different in the penalty area (if the shot happens quickly)?

Surely you wait a couple of seconds to see if the advantage accrues - anywhere else on the field, if the next pass goes astray, within a couple of seconds you bring it back before signalling advantage - why is it different in the penalty area (if the shot happens quickly)?
I personally thought myself that there was a line in the LOTG that said that advantage shouldnt be brought back following poor play but I cant find it so maybe I imagined it or have been told it by an observer/mentor.

Any road I still side with @lincs22. Is a penalty a better opportunity than an open goal? It isnt.

In your example if a foul occurs outside the penalty area, you play advantage and a shot occurs within a couple of seconds do you then penalise the foul? You wouldnt as the advantage was accrued. Similar situation as to the OP the advantage was accrued, the player had a shot at an empty goal. It is not the referees fault that the chance wasnt taken. To bring it back for the Penalty to me seems double jeopardy; have a shot at an open goal but if you miss it I'll give you another go from 12 yards against the keeper. Doesnt sit right with me.

Think of it this way, a player through on goal but still having the keeper to beat has a more difficult chance than a player with an open goal. Therefore the foul didn't deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity, and actually created a more obvious goal scoring opportunity as in making the foul the keeper gave the attacker an open goal. The fact that the attacker made a horlicks of the open goal is his problem, you can't come back for the penalty because of his clumsiness and you certainly can't send the keeper off.

What are the percentages of penalties scored? Guess somewhere between 75 and 85% (?). So the chance must really be better than that to give the advantage.

The other attacker can also be confused about whether it's penalty or not, or he can even think it's a clear penalty and not really go for the shot anymore or try some trick shot or whatever. Not really the referee's problem that players don't know the laws, but still.

You might be practical and hold your breath (and arms) for a second to see what happens. If he misses you blow for penalty, if he scores you act as if it was advantage all along...

Last edited:
You might be practical and hold your breath (and arms) for a second to see what happens. If he misses you blow for penalty, if he scores you act as if it was advantage all along.
This is pretty similar to something I read on a refereeing site a while back. Just to provide some food for thought, here's what it said:
Advantage and the Importance of "Wait and See"
The question of applying advantage in the penalty area is often a source of debate in the soccer community. In most cases, there is no advantage to applying advantage in the penalty area. However, the Laws of the Game provide the referee a few seconds to decide whether to penalize the offense (in this discussion, award a penalty kick) or whether to apply the advantage.

Given this, when should a referee consider advantage application in the penalty area?
• Only when a goal is clear and immediate.

The element of time is important. The time between when the offense is committed and the result (which should be a goal). Since the Laws of the Game grant the referee a few seconds to make the advantage decision, the referee should use this time to observe the result. If a goal immediately results, in those few seconds, then the referee should apply the advantage. Referees should refrain from immediately applying and signaling the application of advantage. By using the wait and see approach, the referee gives himself a few seconds to see if a goal is clear and immediate.

If a goal is clear and immediate, then the referee should apply and signal advantage. If a goal is not clear and not immediate, then the referee should whistle the foul and award a penalty kick (as well as take any misconduct action warranted).

This is pretty similar to something I read on a refereeing site a while back. Just to provide some food for thought, here's what it said:
The guidance here seems to be firmly stating to wait and see the "results" not the opportunity.

I still want to here from @lincs22 - as an observer, are you talking about waiting to see the opportunity, rather than the result...?

(I am open minded on this by the way)

Back