A&H

Advantage - how to re-start; correct booking !?

Green player having treatment off to the side of the pitch - sees the opposition (Yellow) breaking forward down the wing ... Green player rushes back on to the pitch and RECKLESSLY TRIPS the Yellow player a few yards inside the pitch ...

My personal view on this is that it should only be one yellow card, which should be given for the reckless foul which would be considered the "more serious" offence. I'm not 100% but in my view this counts as the one incident as there has been 2 offences simultaneously (eg, before the ball has left play and the game restarted). I'm assuming that's what happened here.

The Referee Store
Hi Xman
In the scenario presented, the two offences happened within 1 second of each other
  • re-entering the FOP without permission
  • reckless foul
If these are two offences that were NOT committed at the same time (and therefore only one punishable) then I'm struggling to think of a situation where 2 offences are committed at the same time !!

Situation where two offences are committed at the same time:

Green player is holding red player's jersey while red player holds green player's jersey.

Blimey. Now I am confused. I have to say that originally I thought a yellow for re-entering and a second yellow (now a red) for the reckless challenge. But now it looks like just the one yellow for the most serious of the two offences (presumably the reckless). I would love to know what the FA's take on it would be.

As far as that YATR is concerned I defy anyone not to have a hard time selling the first one to the players. I'd say that one caution suffices to cover those, arguably as persistent infringement. I'm on self-preservation here. It's easier to show a second caution for any further offence committed AFTER the restart from the handball on the grounds of persistent infringement.

And as for the ambiguous wording - "high challenge"; "handles the ball", I can't go with cautions for both. The high challenge may be dangerous, in which case a caution is merited BUT the "quiz" does not say it, and not every handball is a caution.

But isn't this where the LOTG are at odds with reality. The laws clearly state that a referee should only deal with the most serious incident. Yet every indication seems to be two cautions. I agree that the YATR scenario would not necessarily bring about two bookings as the handball offence is unlikely to get one. If we go with the "two simultaneous offences" idea, how long has to pass for the offences to be simultaneous. I could see that the example given above may be simultaneous if the player off the field receiving treatment merely steps onto the field to commit the foul, but what if he had to run 10-20 metres to do so. Surely that would not be simultaneous?

It only says to deal with the most serious incident where two offences occur at the same time.

Back