RefSix

Accidentally tripping over opponents foot

When two players are running for the ball and it is clear that one of players ACCIDENTALLY gets tripped over by the other whilst they are running, is this a foul or should play be continued?

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
When two players are running for the ball and it is clear that one of players ACCIDENTALLY gets tripped over by the other whilst they are running, is this a foul or should play be continued?
This one is contentious. Rightly or wrongly, if a player changes direction or cuts across another player in a manner that impedes the opponent, it's generally considered a careless foul (at least).
If one of the players in in possession of the ball, or more likely to get there first, we tend to favour that player
I think there are times when clipping of heels is entirely accidental and not careless in any way, but 'football expects' a foul in most cases

This one is contentious. Rightly or wrongly, if a player changes direction or cuts across another player in a manner that impedes the opponent, it's generally considered a careless foul (at least).
If one of the players in in possession of the ball, or more likely to get there first, we tend to favour that player
I think there are times when clipping of heels is entirely accidental and not careless in any way, but 'football expects' a foul in most cases
That's exactly what I was querying, accidental instead of careless clipping of the heels. Seems like you read my mind, but yeah it's a tough one. If the player falling over was no where near the ball I'd let play go on but like you said the law expects a foul in any case right. But if he was close to the ball and had a chance to get to it only then I'd give the foul in this case of accidental tripping.

The Referee

If a player is running so close to an opponent that he clips his heels, I would view it as careless, even if accidental. As @Big Cat mentioned above, you tend to favour the player most likely to get to the ball first.

one

RefChat Addict
Careless and accidental are not mutually exclusive, even in general meaning. I accidentally burnt my hand on the stove, that's because I was careless.
There are some considerations to think about as mentioned above but it's very much a "you have to be there" scenario.