A&H

Accidentally standing on foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harey

Hi,

Sorry if this is a daft question, if when two players go for the ball, one player accidentally stands on the others foot, DFK, or just part of the challenge?

Cheers
Chris

The Referee Store
An accident doesn’t mean it’s not a foul.

And you have to decide if you think it is an offence, and if you think it’s careless, reckless, or excessive force.

If two players are tangling while challenging for the ball, red catches a bit of blue’s toe, blue comes away with the ball and is happily continuing, you might not call an offence and ”carry on”. But if red catches blue’s toe and blue stops playing in pain you might call DFK. If red treads on blue’s foot after blue has passed the ball to a teammate you might call advantage and sanction with a yellow card at the next stoppage. If blue violently stamps on red’s foot you might give DFK and RC.

Every situation is different. You decide;)

Thanks. I wasn't sure as in fairness the foot wasn't there when the player went for the ball, so it wasn't careless, but you could say he should have guessed it would be there, however that would stop anybody tackling :)

Thanks. I wasn't sure as in fairness the foot wasn't there when the player went for the ball, so it wasn't careless, but you could say he should have guessed it would be there, however that would stop anybody tackling :)
If I'm reading this right, that would be the definition of careless (ie. he didn't mean to do anything but accidentally and carelessly did so)?!

'An accident can be a foul' is something I say to players at least once every couple of games - intent disappeared from the laws a long time ago now...

I think you're right, but this is where I am struggling on improving my newbie skills. I am struggling to separate out these fouls, and felt this was a good example from my last game. If Player A went for the ball, and happened to stand on Player B's foot who went to tackle, I feel at odds to penalise Player A as it wasn't his decision to put Player B's foot there! But at the same time, I can see the careless part. Aggghhh

intent disappeared from the laws a long time ago now.
That's not quite totally true. Intent was removed from physical contact fouls a long time ago (back in 1995) but only really from those particular offences. Intent is still to be considered in many parts of the law. The words ' deliberate' or 'deliberately' appear 21 times within the main body of the Laws.

That's not quite totally true. Intent was removed from physical contact fouls a long time ago (back in 1995) but only really from those particular offences. Intent is still to be considered in many parts of the law. The words ' deliberate' or 'deliberately' appear 21 times within the main body of the Laws.
There you go... PP has spoken! 👍

And even when fouls were intentional, that was only sorta kinda true. "Intentional" was a word of art that didn't really mean what the dictionary would say, just as is the case with "deliberate."

Hi, I'm actually a player and not a referee. Sometimes when I'm dribbling with the ball my pivot foot accidently lands on the defending players foot. Have I been careless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back