A&H

Junior/Youth Abandonment due to injury

Kieran W

U16 game this morning and had to abandon after 31 minutes due to a suspected dislocated ankle of one of the players.

Do I report the abandonment to both the league and county FA, one, or the other? Thanks.

The Referee Store
Think there's something on whole game to confirm abandonment. League advised via match report, I guess

Was it enough to abandon the game is the only 'I guess you had to be there' question

Was it enough to abandon the game is the only 'I guess you had to be there' question

I don't understand that statement. If the physio says they don't want to move him and the ambulance takes some time to arrive and playing the game isn't feasible, then abandonment is the only possible outcome.

I've seen the option on whole game for abandonment. I was going to email a report to the fixtures/referee secretary (same person) at the league.

It was the managers son so he had to go with him to hospital in the ambulance which took 30 minutes or so to arrive. Both managers agreed to abandon and it was 0-0 at the time.

I don't understand that statement. If the physio says they don't want to move him and the ambulance takes some time to arrive and playing the game isn't feasible, then abandonment is the only possible outcome.

Physio........I love it, cap'n.......and if the player had been off the pitch?

If the player had been off the pitch there would have been no need to abandon.

when I say 'physio' I'm really saying 'whoever is claiming responsibility for the health of the players' :p

I've only abandoned once for injury - a goalkeeper who jumped for the ball and the striker caught his legs, flipped him over and he landed on his head. Potential spinal injury, not a chance of moving him, light fading etc...

I've had an hour's delay for a broken leg three minutes in, an ambulance for a boot to the head - for which I called half time (43 minutes on the clock when incident occured - it made sense to not play 2 mins injury time 25 minutes later!)

U16 game this morning and had to abandon after 31 minutes due to a suspected dislocated ankle of one of the players.

Do I report the abandonment to both the league and county FA, one, or the other? Thanks.
You only need to report it to the league on this occasion. From what you said, you made the right decision.

You would only report it to both the league and the County FA if the game was abandoned because of misconduct.

Today I had a keeper go down twice with possible head injuries. Both times the manager came over and asked him if he wanted to play on and he insisted he did. Should I have allowed him to continue? I did as the manager had checked with him but i'm thinking now that maybe I should have insisted he go off. The first was a stud to back of the head (accidental) and I think he just go hit for the second. Age group, U13's.

Today I had a keeper go down twice with possible head injuries. Both times the manager came over and asked him if he wanted to play on and he insisted he did. Should I have allowed him to continue? I did as the manager had checked with him but i'm thinking now that maybe I should have insisted he go off. The first was a stud to back of the head (accidental) and I think he just go hit for the second. Age group, U13's.
Unless you are medically qualified or have an established protocol you have to rely on the payer's and manager's judgement about whether the player should continue

@CallumS im sure loads of people will come on here and disagree with me. But at u13 in my experience everyone is concerned by the players welfare and no one would be taking any chances with a head injury like that. As Brian said its not your place to tell players to go off, but think any manager would be cautious with a lad that age.

For injuries like that I'd be giving the lad as long as he needed and then a bit more. Even once he says he's ok to carry on I'd tell him to take another minute to be sure. Had a lad take a belting shot in the Crown jewels the other week. Everyone knew that pain so allows hima few extra moments before hobbling off! My word it was a belting shot and only about a yard from him. Never heard such a genuine shout of pain followed by about ten of us all at the same time groaning in pain for him!

Back