A&H

Abandoned game

Like most of the country the weather has been a bit wet in the North West. However I noticed there was a game near me and to escape the usual soaps and terrible TV, I thought I would go and watch. When I arrived about five minutes before the game, the away team Manager was asking the referee to abandon the game as in his opinion the pitch was unfit. I know both teams very well and there's usually no animosity from them. The referee declared the pitch fit and both teams got ready to play. I had a look at the pitch for my own curiosity and I would never have played the game. It was clearly not fit to play. However it is at the referee's discretion and I certainly did not get involved as I was also unfamiliar with the ref.

Ten minutes into the game and it is a farce, with the home team winning 1-0, through a goal that got stuck in a puddle, which allowed the striker in. Both teams were struggling. Then the inevitable happened and a player from the away team got injured, when he slid in for a challenge, missed and twisted his knee as he tried to stop sliding. The away Manager was not impressed and ordered his players off the field for safety reasons. He then advised the ref he took pictures and would speak to the County FA. However as the players left the field the referee booked each one of the away team for leaving the field of play without permission. Oh dear........

The Referee Store
Why would you caution EVERY player - thats daft.
Report as an abandonment with the reason being one team left fop, complaining about the state of the pitch and let league/FA sort.

Can't see the manager having much luck with the County FA!

Incidentally, if it was clear that the players weren't coming back, wouldn't you caution the first five and then abandon, rather than cautioning every player?

This was not a new ref and one who had a lot of experience. I've seen him a few times over a few seasons. Hopefully common sense will prevail but I imagine his whole game system was busy that night

Oh my word.... common sense should have prevailed and not allow the game to go ahead due to the pitch condition, might be jumping the gun here but does match fee ring a bell?

Back